TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am going to lay off the subs for a few minutes and work on the inside speakers.

These will go in my Bonneville.....As the Birdie already has Infinity Kappa's on all 4 corners..

Should I stay with Kappas when I choose a 6x9, 5.25", and 6.5"

or

Should I go with someother company.

-----------------------------------------------------

I would like to use my Rockford Fosgate 401S amps to power them. I figure I can use one amp for the fronts and one for the rear 6x9's.

Is this a good or bad idea.

They are 2 channel.

Can anyone give any input. Price Max is about 200 a pair. I would like something that can take a beating with the amps power, and complement the subs when they finally go back in.

Please help... BTW: What is the difference between components and "regular" speakers?

Thanks

Dave

Specs on two different sets of 6x9 Kappa's:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Pz5dCLUdefM/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=52300&id=features_and_specs&i=1086937I

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Pz5dCLUdefM/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=52300&id=features_and_specs&i=1086927I

Specs on Rockford Fosgate 6x9 componets:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Pz5dCLUdefM/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=195150&id=features_and_specs&i=575P1692

Specs on the Kappa 4x6's:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Pz5dCLUdefM/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=51400&id=features_and_specs&i=1084627CFP

·
Registered
344 Posts
You "can" use a two channel amp for your mids and highs if the amp is full range and not a sub amb (class d)- Do you need all three sets-6x9, 5.25", and 6.5" or were you asking what we think? As far as what brand you use go with whatever sounds the best to you.
The difference between component set and "regular" speakers are only that in an component set you get just that a set of 2-3 or even 4 different speakers, tweeter- and a 6.5 or 5.25 is the usual. But i think that boston acoustics and pollk audio have a set of -tweeter-4 inch and an 5.25 or 6.5- .....A regular 6x9 or 5x7 will have them all in a single unit- that is where you get two or three way speaker.
Any other questions? :D :D

Jon

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually Yes...

Here is a link to the Rockford Fosgate 401S Specs.... Will these work with interior my speakers?

http://www.epinions.com/pr-Rockford_Fosgate_Punch_401S_Car_Audio_Amplifier/display_~full_specs

To awnser your questions:

I need the 6x9's, I may need either the 6.5's or the 5.25's for the front, I have not taken off the door panel yet.

Also would you say the component set or the regular speakers will be louder, more clear, more powerful when amped....

Thanks ALot

Dave

Guitar....Any Input?

:D

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
you can definitely use that amp for all 4 speakers.....i use the 301S in my car.......so both left speakers are on the L output and both right speakers are on the R output......amp sees 2 ohms/ch this way, which is safe......i dont have front-to-back balancing, but then again, i'll never need it either

as far as speakers you will need 4 ohm speakers if you want to run all 4 of them with that 2-ch amp....that will present a safe impedance like the way i'm running them

the real difference in components is not just the the amount of speakers, but that the crossover is usually of much better quality and so is the tweeter......for example, you can't take the tweeter off a 2-way 6x8 and just use its tiny little capacitor for a Xover, and mount it somewhere else and call it a component set......the difference in sound is that great.......components will sound VERY good and clear when used with a good hi-power amp

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One more question.

I was planning on using one amp for the front two and one amp for the back two. Will that make a difference on what you say or not? I ask because it sounds to me thta you are saying use 1 amp for all 4 speakers.

If not..... You are saying get the 4 ohm Componet Infinty Kappas. Correct?

Thanks GM....

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
the only reason i would use two 2-ch amps (or equivalently, a 4-ch amp) is to have F-R and L-R fading/balancing....as long as the speakers are not underpowered too much, you can go either way

question #2: depends on what amp setup you go with....first decide: do you NEED to have front-to-back fading?

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No I don't, I was just thinking about power,
Because if I go 4 ohms...that equals 100wrms x2ch.
That equals 50 watts per speaker correct?

So if I use 2 amps and go 100wrms to EACH speaker, will be twice as loud? Or is my logic all fukked up?

If so please try to clarify this for me.

Thanks GM

Dave

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
you're kinda right...the 401S puts out 100W/ch.... when each channel is loaded with 4 ohms......but with two 4 ohm speakers on each channel, it will put out 200W RMS......and that power will divide evenly since the speakers are both same impedance

so to sum it up, with a pair of 4-ohm speakers on each channel of your 401S, each will get 100W RMS, not 50.....why? because a pair of 4-ohm speakers paralleled on each of the channels will 'appear' as 2-ohms to the amp

so if you dont need F/R fading, just keep your 401S and put both driver's side speakers on the left channel output, and both passenger side speakers on the right channel output.......and that thing will get FREAKIN' LOUD.....my components get pretty damn loud with 75W RMS from my 301S, and your's will definitely get louder

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got the component set installed yesterday. I cannot believe how I ever lived without this type set-up. The sound is so loud and clear it's unbelievable how good these sound, amplified of course.

Before this, i could turn my Pioneer deck volume up to 52, now I cannot get past 20 before it's VERY loud.

I am extremely happy with my pick, Thanks GM and Jon. Preciate It!

Dave

1 - 14 of 14 Posts