TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good and bad I guess. We bought my 1994 tbird wiht 80k on it 3 years ago. It was a graduation gift and we paid 1600 for it. The paint was fading/oxidized when we bought it but has since gotten worse.

The transmission developed a shudder at 90k.
I replaced the thermostat at 127k
Replaced Fuel Pump/Filter and Strainer at 135k. Since then the car idles low until warmed up. Does anyone know a fix to this?
AC doesn't really blow cold anymore, my dad has put cans of whatever in it nearly every summer.
At 137k, the transmission occasionally hangs on gears.

So, I'm looking for a new car. I may take a job 40-50 miles one way so i need something better on gas.

I also have to get it financed so 2002 and newer only, and I don't want to go much over $8,000

Option #1
2002+ Dodge Neon
My least favorite option. Don't really like the look of these cars. The base models look really girly to me. Comes with a 2.0 liter (most likely).
24mpg (City)
31mpg (highway)
27 (combined)

Option #2
2002+ Chevy Cavalier. Really Indifferent about these cars. I'm unsure of styling and don't know that this is my favorite choice
2.2 Liter
24 mpg (City)
33 mpg (Highway)
27 mpg (combined)

Option #3
2002+ Nissan Sentra. Prolly one of my favorite options. Nissans are supposed to be really reliable. Maybe a little stretch on my pocket.
1.8 liter
27 mpg (city)
35 mpg (highway)
31 mpg (combined)

Option #4
2002+ Ford Focus. Another good option, I like the roominess these have for a small car. I hear they have electric problems though.
2.0 liter
28 mpg (City)
36 mpg (Highway)
31 mpg (Combined)

Option #5
2002+ Dodge Stratus/Chrysler Sebring. I can get these prolly just as cheap as the other cars. They are bigger inside then most, less economical.
2.7 liter
20 mpg (City)
28 mpg (Highway)
23 mpg (Combined)

Option 3-5 are prolly my preferred. Any suggestions? Civic/Corolla with decent mileage is probably out of my price range.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I would and if I could afford to buy a new car that would probably be on the top of my list. But since I can't and Honda's have a significantly higher resale value it doesn't make sense to buy one.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
:zwthstpd: those are fun as hell to drive too.. if you get the sport model.. the Se-R i think it is they look great too :thumbsup:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've actually heard the cavalier has the best engine/transmission as far as reliability is concerned as any. I'm really leaning towards focus just because they overall seem bigger inside.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I would recommend the Sentra or the Focus. The Sentra will probably hold it's value longer, but also probably be the more expensive. But the Focus is considered a very reliable, nice car, so either one is probably a good bet.

Just my .02. and boy am I glad I bought my Aspire in 2005!!!:thumbsup:

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
focus.....coming from a dealer these things hardly have major problems. we bought my wifes new in 04, and no problems yet. my sister in law just bought an 07 as well. no problems to date, though it's only been a few months.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hah, ford's been pretty good to me. Not so much some of my family members though. Everyone I know who bought a taurus had the engine die.

·
Registered
280 Posts
stay away from the Chrysler stuff. Not a good engine. watch how many blow smoke out the tail pipes. Engines are just crap (from what i've seen). Cavaliers are okay, but go for something a little sportier, aim for the Sunfire. Nissan's are nice too. Check out the Mitsubishi's. I've loved both of my mitsu's.

·
Super Moderator
7,489 Posts
I say none of the above. Forget financing, keep cash in your pocket, and go find yourself an 80s diesel VW and get 50mpg and run it for 500K miles. I will never understand the mentality of taking on a car payment, which also means a much larger insurance payment, just to save some money on maintenance or gas.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Why not just keep the bird and make it dependable.Think about it.All the money you'll spend in a car payment can be used montly to make the car that much more dependable.And these cars are not bad on gas for what they are.I get 22-25 mpg highway on mine depending on driving habits and about 17-19 city.Keep the bird.If it's paid off you're techniqly doing better than having a car payment.

The tranmission shutter is probley a converter.I have one (10k mile unit.) I'd let go for cheap if interested.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts