TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im thinking its time for a new tranny because i feel lots of what i beleive to be slipping (car shakes and hesitates while switching up gear) but that is really all i have noticed...i have my cel on because my iat pigtails/sensor are screwed for the moment. if i am moving too fast and it may be something smaller plz let me know, but if it is gonna be time for a tranny change i would also like to replace the tc. anyone have some suggestions for a tranny/tc for a 4.6 v8 w/ light bolt-ons? i want nice quick shifts and am looking for performance but really want to stay under 1000. thanks!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
btw...car is at 135+K miles, another reason why i beleive its the transmission.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats EXACTLY how the shaking is...like im driving on those damn grooves! will changing the TC alone help this problem? i want to swap the trans as well but im thinking its gonna cost some big$. thanks

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
first thing I would do, is flush the tranny and put fresh mercon v fluid in it. you're hesitation to shift gears kind of sounds like a low/old fluid problem. if it doesnt help, slap a new TC in there and you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Changing the TC will make it go away -

but with you're mileage - you've got a 50/50 chance your trans may be on its last leg.

If it's been doing this long, you trans is full of TC clutch material.

You can get a decent 98 trans for like $800

A marauder TC costs you around $200

and a New flexplate is like $55

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh yeah, forogot to mention i changes the trans fluid 2weeks ago (just unbolted and emptied the pan, changed the gasket and filter) replaced with carquest brand trans fluid...old fluid was still red but smelled burnt. 800 for a used trans? wow! thats kinda up there for right now. was thinking a tc and trans would be a little less than 1k installed. anyways, thanks for the help...anything else?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
you need to drain the pan and the torque converter - there is a drain plug on it - and a little access hole on the bottom of the bellhousing - it has a rubber dust cover on the hole.

Most of the fluid is in there.

Drain it and the pan and use MERCON V fluid.

You can find the castrol brand at autozone and some walmarts.

Or buy it at a ford dealer.

The pan gasket is reusable. - (The oem rubber one anyway)

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
:zwthstpd:

do that first...and ONLY with MerconV (castrol, valvoline, Motorcraft)....all in all, you'll need 12-13 qts i believe, with a stock tranny with no tranny cooler

oh and do yourself a favor and read the tranny tech articles....the link to the tech articles is on the front page

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i read the articles but went w/ that brand because i didnt change all fluid and got it free from a friend at carquest...realize now that was not too great of an idea, what are some direct (or close to) bolt on transmission/torque converters that can go on a 4.6 tbird? so far i've been told maurauder, marklll, and mustang gt. thanks

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
chromecoupe said:
i read the articles but went w/ that brand because i didnt change all fluid and got it free from a friend at carquest...realize now that was not too great of an idea, what are some direct (or close to) bolt on transmission/torque converters that can go on a 4.6 tbird? so far i've been told maurauder, marklll, and mustang gt. thanks
mark viii

all three of those will work

The marauder being the best.

You will also need a new flexplate (flywheel) because those TC's are smaller than your stock one.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yeah my trans was doing the same thing. But i was only when i was giving it some gas, and it kind of wanted to downshift, but didn't have enough throttle to. It would just kind of shake till i either let off the gas, or gave it enough to kick it down. Is this the same problem?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea...i would say its about that, also, when i try to take off it sometime will hesitate BADLY to go into second but when it does i fly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts