TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had that evil TC shudder for several thousand miles now and Dr. Tranny's snake oil has helped me delay the inevitable for quite some time, but this is the third time it's come back so it's time to do the deed. I can't stand the lack of confidence and performance any longer so it's time to fix the root cause.

Since I can't do any of the work myself, I'm going to take the car over to a local reputable shop and have them replace something.

I don't want to do a rebuild because it seems to be very (a) labor-intensive and (b) error-prone.

So I've considered getting only the TC replaced, or just getting a whole new transmission. I'm trying to balance cost and reliability.

I guess my questions are:

1) Can I just ask for a new TC or transmission? I don't think Ford just has new '97 4R70W's laying around, right? I definitely don't want something from a salvage yard because who knows what I'd be getting, and this is a major ($$$) repair so I'd like something solid. Would they have to get a later-model transmission and do some kind of conversion? And if so, what should I ask for?

2) Which would be best... replace the TC or the whole transmission? I suspect a TC replacement would be more labor... and I can't be guaranteed that something else in the transmission isn't ready to go (just replaced a broken accumulator and gasket). Which is why I'm leaning towards going all the way.

Just looking for some advice from people who have been there. I know where to get the best transmissions... they're just so far away. :)

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
heres your answer to number two.

replace both of them. you have to drop the trans to replace the trans (duh lol) and you also have to drop the trans to replace the tc. so its not going to cost more labor just to replace the tc.

talk to darrin, shippin doesnt cost that much.

·
Super Moderator
7,617 Posts
If you aren't having any other problems with the trans, then I would say just replace the converter. The only thing is if you ever do start having problems with the trans, you need to get them taken care of quickly, otherwise they will wipe out your new converter. As for what to use as a replacement, a mustang GT converter would basically be a stock replacement, or you could go with a mark 8 or marauder converter, or something custom made (dirtydog).

As for installation, if you are willing to drive about an hour, I could install it for you for a lot less than a shop would charge.

·
Registered
373 Posts
If you can afford both the tc and tranny go for it but the ? is can your engine keep up with the new installments. If yes, well take the proactive way and do both the tc and tranny, better safe than sorry plus your car will thank you.;)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for the info... it's much appreciated.

I think I'll splurge and replace both. I'll have to talk to Darrin and see how much shipping would be and what my options are.

Question though... why would I need to worry about my engine keeping up with a new trans?

J

·
Super Moderator
7,617 Posts
You don't have to worry about it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts