TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace my aging 1991 Blazer 4 door with 210,000 miles.

Any reliability problems or things to look for with the v8 explorers/mountaineers or Jeep Cherokees? I'm pretty familiar with the Broncos.

Looking for power, 4wd, and fun. I like my '78 Bronco, but 4 doors for my family would be nice with the explorer or cherokee. My wife is willing to drive any of them, but she favors the Mountaineers.

B

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
MY wife drives a V-8 (5.0 litre) 4 door explorer and it has been a great vehicle. We have 54,000 on it now and have only taken it in for warantee on a rear door handle that broke. I have a friend that bought a jeep at the same time and his has already been in the shop a dozen times for trans and hub problems.

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
my mom's 98 5.0 exploder has only needed the plugs/wires replaced (dropped cylinder) other than the usual oil changes.

·
High Output Poster
1,491 Posts
My parents have a 5.0 Mountaineer that has just a little over 100k miles. No problems besides one plug wire going bad. Damn good vehicle.

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
I have '96 bronco. the things a tank, its nearing 70k and only goes in for regular maintenence.

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
If you like to take it off road, the Cherokee will run circles around the Explorer. But the 99+ Explorer/Mountaineers are much more comfortable on the highway. They're also a bit roomier inside. So it depends on what you want it for. I believe the Explorer is rated to tow more also. But the Cherokee has TONS of low-end torque thanks to its faithful straight six engine.

·
8,239 Posts
if I had the money for something nice, I would get a supercab king ranch f150 with all the bells and whistles and 4wd.

The 4.6 motor is a tank, the 5.4 n/a has had some problems and I wouldn't buy one. The newer 5.0's are old technology but still good motors.

The mountineer is a little fancier than the explorer, and I like them more.

Even something like a 4.6 expedition would be really nice. My neighbor has a 97 expedition with the 4.6 and its great for hauling his family around.

I drive a 98 roush nascar f150 2wd 4.6, and it runs awesome and I haven't had one problem with it.

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
If I had the money to buy what I want, I'd get a 4wd diesel Excursion to tow the car and a Grand Cherokee for daily driving.

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts

Thats my truck and my moms old jeep.

Cyntaxx, its not for sale if thats what you were thinkin.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts