TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
Einstein did not prove that space is curved. He did however theorize it. NASA has a project in the works that may lend evidence to it however. And not so much that its curved, but like a big sheet of rubber. And any massive object can distort it slightly, like how a sheet of rubber might sag where you place a heave object. And if you twist that object on the rubber, it tends to distort the rubber around it. Apply that idea to planetary rotation. He theorized that space is distorted around massive objects.

At least thats how I understand it. Could be wrong, I'm not an astrophysicist, or a quantum mechanics guy. So those that do know, feel free to slap me down :)

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
if time travel were possible, someone in the future would have done it and come back to tell us it is possible. ;)

·
Heavily Medicated Crime Fighter
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now, how would we know or not know if they had been in the past? You take for granted that they would put out a press release as soon as they showed up and I hardly think that would be on thier "to do" list. There are some that believe that UFOs could be travelers from the future.

Mark

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Time travel is possible.

And the point about coming back to tell us is a valid one, but think about it this way, if someone went to the New York Times saying they were from the future they would be put into an insane asylum. The only place that would publish it would be the weekly world news. You know how many people believe that POS.

·
Registered
975 Posts
My theory regarding that is if someone did travel to the past, it would branch off another universe with a different causiality. Obviously you can't think of it as a straight line, or it causes paradoxes. And if they then tried to return to the future, they would find it changed by whatever they did, technically another universe. Of course that's assuming it's even possible.

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
I like the theory that says that you can't travel back in time further than the time when the time machine itself existed. This is why we don't see any time-travelers from the future; the time machine hasn't been invented yet.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Al_Florida said:
I like the theory that says that you can't travel back in time further than the time when the time machine itself existed. This is why we don't see any time-travelers from the future; the time machine hasn't been invented yet.
Yup, once we invent a time machine, we will have people popping in and saying hi.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Pooperscooper said:
if someone went to the New York Times saying they were from the future they would be put into an insane asylum. The only place that would publish it would be the weekly world news. You know how many people believe that POS.
I'd think if they were smart enough to time travel, they could figure out a way to prove it.

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
:D

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
kenshi said:
My theory regarding that is if someone did travel to the past, it would branch off another universe with a different causiality. Obviously you can't think of it as a straight line, or it causes paradoxes. And if they then tried to return to the future, they would find it changed by whatever they did, technically another universe. Of course that's assuming it's even possible.
just so you know, Hugh Everett theorized that in the 40s or 50s, i believe, in his doctoral dissertation

·
Registered
817 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Did anyone ever hear of the "super collider at Brookhaven"?

It was supposed to create a Black hole, but Congress canceled it after dumping $2 Billion into the project.

Pretty cool technology though.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
GreenBird said:
if time travel were possible, someone in the future would have done it and come back to tell us it is possible. ;)
Not if they understand it, and understand that traveling back could really screw up the future, as Kenshi said. If someone came back, and participated in the "present" or "past", they could destroy the future as they know it...

Temporal Parodoxes... I've got a headache...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts