TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you reset the timing chain adjusters??????? Is there a special trick or tool for it?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Im sure you are talking about the tencheners.
Its ez, stick a small screwdriver in the hole, push the lock over, at the same time push in the slidebar and locking devise, remove screwdriver, done.
If you have a vise its alot better.
FASTFORD!!

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Yeah, he's definitely right. I've done this about 3-4 times. You move the lock over, i think i used a small allen wrench. Then I slowly compressed the piston in with a vise. Then used the same small allen wrench to lock them in place. Install the tensioner and chains on the car, then pull the allen wrench and the piston pops out some. Hope this helps!
-Rob

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, this is my first time inside a DOHC 4.6, and it's a bear to work on. I'm used to my old 302's and 351C's. Kenneth has the block and the busted up head right now, maybe he'll snap some pics, but the total damage was:

4 broken pistons
scarred crank
scarred cylinder
Beat up cylinder head
Vortech that leaks oil into the intake

Not bad for a day's work. Glad it's not my dime fixing it. The guy who owns the Cobra hit the rev limiter at about 9 lbs of boost and closed the tops of the pistons down onto the rings, and 1 piston shattered, and he drove it for 2 weeks after this, and it beat up the head pretty bad.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Wow! I can't believe the guy way able to drive the car for 2 weeks with 4 screwed up pistons! Is the block salvageable?
-Rob

·
Registered
498 Posts
Oh no...damage is worse than that. Financial damage that is.

We're resleeving #8 cylinder. He's gonna get new valves, and seats for cylinder 8. The rest are getting cleaned up. And I'm gonna need the other head to get them all worked. The only way people can clean up the head is with a 3 angle valve job. Eek.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Well, I'm glad I'm not that guy! :D
-Rob

·
Registered
460 Posts
People who do this type of thing should not be allowed to drive a car. :redmad:

I can understand blowing up a cylinder, but then proceding to drive on it for 2 weeks that freaking retarded.

Another case of too much money not enough brains.

I fourtunetly have enough brains just not the money right now.

·
Registered
104 Posts
the way i know is calus i did a fresh up on my motor, the new oil pump from ford stoped working, motor looked down. ford gave me now parts so i freshed up another motor i had, i let a freind time it way i was at work, i got home and check it the timing was off, new tenchers had ben released, so it was find a way to fix or get new ones, I fixed.:)
FASTFORD!!

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The real problem is, he doesn't have the money. He can barely afford the car payment. He's also in too much of a hurry to get the car back. If I was him, I would save up for forged rods now, since that would be the weak link now. It's also the first semi-riced Cobra I've seen around here. Graphics on the hood, and BIG SVT cobra across the windshield. This is what it looked like before:

·
Registered
498 Posts
But wait! Theres more!

Needs a new connecting rod. Needs a new drivers side head. Got 4 opinions on it today. Theres no hope. The only way he can run that head is without boost. With boost....the motor will eat itself. I'm officially retracting my statement about the 3 angle valve job. The machine shops got to see the head and they all had the same reaction. "Oooohhhh.....*shakes head*....theres not much we can do."

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

New bare head from ford is $533 my cost. Connecting rod is $50. For the 03 Cobra connecting rod the price is - hold on to your chairs - $180 a piece. A piece...meaning....$180 x 8. Hellooooo Aftermarket! We'll see if the crank passes muster when I take it to get turned tomorrow. Hopefully it'll be within spec.

·
Registered
498 Posts
*Warning* Objects appear smaller in picture than they appear.

And it only has the Cobra R wing. Plus the old spoiler holes were never filled in.
IMO if you cant afford to fix a 450+hp car, you cant afford to drive it.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The semi-riced part is actually the flamed sticker in the hood scoop. The guy also has some pretty screwed up views on things. Well Kenneth, he finally called me this morning. He says he won't be able to afford to fix it for a while, just get what you can done with the money he already gave you. I'm going to look for a used head, and see what comes up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts