TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else on here have noticeable timing chain noise, or is it normal. As long as I have owned my car you could always hear the chains rolling around in there, its not loud or anything, just noticeable.

·
Registered
663 Posts
i can hear mine with the mechanic stethoscope (ie screwdriver up to ear) i have never noticed it without doing that, maybe im deaf tho i dunno. i would consider replaceing the timing parts when you install your "2004/2005 ALL Aluminum 4.6L"

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i can hear mine with the mechanic stethoscope (ie screwdriver up to ear) i have never noticed it without doing that, maybe im deaf tho i dunno. i would consider replaceing the timing parts when you install your "2004/2005 ALL Aluminum 4.6L"
I wont have to because it will be with the new engine;)

with 230K mileage is a little noise to be expected? I guess this should be directed towards the high mileage people.

·
Banned
377 Posts
mine doesnt....although im curious now if anyone makes timing gears for the 4.6L...i like the way they sound, kinda like a supercharger.

·
Registered
367 Posts
no i doubt they make timing gears. there would have to be about 10 gears just to do it. haha to many mechanical parts for me.

·
The Parts Guy
7,268 Posts
im curious now if anyone makes timing gears for the 4.6L...i like the way they sound, kinda like a supercharger.
Timing gears, yes. Gear drives (which is what you're talking about), no.

-Rod

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If the plastic peices on my tensioners are worn, could this be a problem?

Its not a really loud annoying noise, you can just tell their doing their thing, the chain isnt slapping the timing cover or anything, lol

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
If the plastic peices on my tensioners are worn, could this be a problem?

Its not a really loud annoying noise, you can just tell their doing their thing, the chain isnt slapping the timing cover or anything, lol

I would think your oil feed tensioners might be sticky or have a bad internal spring. Only 4.6 I know of with timing chain noise had the oil tensioner with a broken internal spring.

·
Banned
998 Posts
Yeah Nick and that was my car. After tearing the front of the motor down 3 times in a 2 week period I am a pro now on it.

I had no noise at all until I took it apart for the first time and squeezed them together cleaned the tensioners and put them back on and the passenger one did not pump back up.

Thanks for the save on the tensioner Nick.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So is this something that is really serious because its been doing it for a year without any issues, I dont really drive it anymore cause its winter and stuff.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
pull the valve covers and have a look. Dosent cost that much to take a peek inside

·
Banned
998 Posts
You will not be able to see much unless you remove the timing chain cover and if you do that you might as well be ready with parts to replace the tensioners and chain guides or even the chain itself. I only took mine apart to install PI cams, that was a nice seat in pants increase.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts