TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to pull the timing gears because of a broken timing chain on the secondary! went to put back togetherand no key for the keyway was told that there arent any and that the pressure from the spaceer washer bolt was what keeps it all from sliping anyone know anything in this area?

·
The Parts Guy
7,305 Posts
That's incorrect. There should either be a seperate key, or the key would be made into the sprocket. It depends on the year of the engine.

-Rod

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the gear being driven by the crank does but the two that are te same size on the cams don't!

·
The Parts Guy
7,305 Posts
The smaller sprockets should also be "keyed". 93-97's will have a seperate key (which is tiny, and is very easy to lose during disassembly). 98-up sprockets have an integral key.

Do not put it back together without the keys in place.

-Rod

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK because I have someone that deals with mark viii parts all the time and he pulled two heads apart for me so that I could get them and he said that neither of the heads that he took apart had them!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Like racecougar has said, depending on the year, they may have a separate key or an intergral key on the sprocket. They would spin on the cams otherwise.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Like racecougar has said, depending on the year, they may have a separate key or an intergral key on the sprocket. They would spin on the cams otherwise.
Well when I broke the bolts loose the cams spun free right a way so if there where keys in them they shouldn't of spun like that correct? I was alsp told that the cupped washers were designed to restrain the cam from spinning without the key!? I know that the main drive sprocket has a built in key but the secondaries didn't so when I loosened them up they rotated freely without pullin of the gear!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hey 281e I sent you a PM stop by the lincoln store in PG and I'll give you some help on the timing situation, ask for Bill in service.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey 281e I sent you a PM stop by the lincoln store in PG and I'll give you some help on the timing situation, ask for Bill in service.
Sounds good!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts