TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to set timing? I set mine with a light to what it had on the sticker on the rad support (i think 10BMBT??)with the little grey plug out. thats how the haynes book said to do it. it works fine, but my question is whats the best way to get the most performance? just curious to see what i can do by adjusting it. thanks guys

·
5,650 Posts
There is only one right way to set the base timing on a distributor car and how you described it is how it is done. Aside from altering the timing advance table in the PCM, the only thing you can do is bump up the timing and run a higher octane gas. That will give you a few extra ponies. Experiment by running high octane gas and bumping the timing 2 degrees at a time up until you start pinging, then back it off 2 degrees from there. But to get the most performance, you would need to run a cooler t-stat, have a good exhaust system, run high octane gas and get a chip. But IMHO there is a good chunk of change in just doing that and the money would be better spent saving for a V-8 car.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have the chip, and exhaust. i can get a cooler t-stat. i ran 93 octane all last week and there is def. a difference.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts