TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I have a question about the timing of my 4.6. I Am replacing the head gaskets and made a boo-boo . . . I think. I made a mark on the timing chains and cam sprockets so that they will line up right. I didnt make a mark on the lower part of the chain that attaches to the crank sprockets. Is this a problem? The cams have'nt turned, (maybe slightly) but not a full rotation. I havent turned the engine over at all so i know that didn't move. I just want to make sure everything will go together right without breaking any valves. Thanks (I tried searching but couldn't find anything)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Personally I would err on the side of safty and pull the cam followers and time it correctly. Bent valves suck. ANY cam movement is a bad thing and correctly timing it is easier than simply painting lines. BUT first, beg, borrow or steal a cam follower remover and take all 16 out to prevent nasty greetings from the pistons to the valves. Then lay out the chains straight, so they lay in a straight line. mark the end links. then just line one of the marks you made on the chain with the mark on the crank and the other with the mark on the cam. install the tensioner and pull the pin. all done! reinsert the roller followers. And oh yeah start with the driver's side.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts