TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curiuos whats a good percent for tint for the front two windows the back im going to make pretty dark i think but the front two i was thinking like 20 or 30, what do you guys recomend?
heres my car

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
Thats with 20% up front and 5% on the back 3 windows. depends on the lighting conditions how dark your windows will seem. if i had to do it all over again i would of gone with 30% and 5% in the rear seeing how 20% attracts more attention to the cops here in so-cal than 30%.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Well 20% isnt all that dark, 30% is a waste IMO of course, I think your state doesnt have a tint law but maybe it does not to sure on it, but if you want it black get 5%, dont recommend it tho, hard to see at night backing up and whatnot, I used to have 2.5% on my old LIncoln, was awsome tho, couldnt see in day or not, flashlight or not but got nailed left and right, I like the 20% I currently have, not to dark but not to light, have my privacy as well when Im sitting next to someone..

I have some tint pics but there of my Lincoln no bird, Bird pics will prolly give you a better idea then a Lincoln.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah my state tint law is you can only tint 4 inches down the front windows nothing else in the front, but im going to try anyways

·
Registered
605 Posts
Fordraceing said:
yeah my state tint law is you can only tint 4 inches down the front windows nothing else in the front, but im going to try anyways

that just sounds weird. Are you sure its not just 4 inches down on the windshield. Never heard of a state that you couldn't tint the front windows. Va. is extremmly strick and u can tint them up to 50% (whoo hoo!!)...

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I had the windows tinted 40% on my front windows (not windshield) on my Murano and no cop has ever said a word to me (volunteer fireman and it's my fire fightin' mobile...so it sees a lot of cop action).

·
Registered
900 Posts
20% would probably look good, and fordracing is correct about the 4" strip, what id recomend to u, is go to a place called notorious tintz or something like that, in livonia, off of merriman and 96, not sure what they charge, i believe its pretty cheap, and they offer insurance for the front windows, 15 bucks per window, guarantees that if u get pulled over, if its a fix it ticket, u can take the car to notorious, with the ticket, they'll remove it so u can go show the cops, then once its dropped, u go back to notorious and they'll put new tint on for free, its a pretty cool and good idea imo, i believe the insurance lasts for one time, but if that were to happen u can buy it again

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
I'd say 20%. That's the darkest I'd ever go. My friend had a Mudstain with 20% all around and you could see fairly well at night. I'm thinking 35 up front, 20 on the back for the Cougar.

Porkchop2oo2 said:
california allows ZERO tint up front unless its from factory
It's the same in the People's Republic of Illinois (a.k.a.-the People's Repulic of Chicago).

Luckily, I'm thinking of tranferring my state of residence to the Hoosier state.

·
Street Freekz
754 Posts
Mine has 35% all around. It just depends how the light hits it whether it looks dark or not...

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
20% all around.

·
Registered
49 Posts
On my Rover, I have 5% all the way around. Let me tell you, you can't see squat at night. I have to roll down the windows to use my mirrors. However, it helps a lot keeping my car cool in the AZ heat, and keeps the sun off my kids. I will go with 20% all around on my bird when she's done. It's really just about personal preference.:cool:

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I've got 35 on the sides, I think a little darker in the rear. I like it that way, no darker. I drove a friends car with dark tint and hated not being able to see at night.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I had 32 put on front and 6 on the back of my Grand Marquis. I like it, it is a little dark for my wife at night, but she doesn't drive at night very often.

I will probably do the same with my 97 Cougar, and 89 Cougar, 32 is as dark as we can legally do in the front here unless you have a doctors note, then you can get 20 on the front.

·
shaken, not stirred
1,219 Posts
Anyone from Illinois got tint? If i'm not mistaken we can have 4 inches down on the windshield and as dark as we want on the back but no tint on front 2 doors. Can anyone back me up on this one? I have been wanting to tint my '97 but still debating plus i don't need the headache of being pulled over.

C.Hill

·
Street Freekz
754 Posts
stangboy7 said:
Anyone from Illinois got tint? If i'm not mistaken we can have 4 inches down on the windshield and as dark as we want on the back but no tint on front 2 doors. Can anyone back me up on this one? I have been wanting to tint my '97 but still debating plus i don't need the headache of being pulled over.

C.Hill

Although I'm not from IL but according to this website (link below):

Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 6 inches of the windshield.
Front Side Windows No tint can be applied legally to this window.
Back Side Windows Any darkness can be used.
Rear Window Any darkness can be used.

Here's the link for refernce if you'd like to see it: :)

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/IL/

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
stangboy7 said:

C.Hill
Yep, it's 6" on front, unlimited on back three, none on the front.

Have I mentioned that I hate the People's Republic of Illinois?

·
Registered
366 Posts
ridenonair i don't know what part of va you're from but i can tell you that the tint laws in va are 50% side,35% quarter and rear window and no tint is allowed on the front windshield.if you take you car to a licensed tint installer they won't install tint that's darker than allowed in your state,they could lose their license.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts