TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anything I should look out for when I install my lowering springs and shock/strut combo? Any normal bolts that break that I should get before install? Idea on how long it will take? Thanks! oh yea and what speical tools

BTW - Vogtlang 1.6 drop and Tokio shock/struts will be going in...

·
Registered
658 Posts
go get yourself a set of the bottom front shock bolts. i had to use a air hammer to get mine out. the backs took me about 1h. just stick and move. i had to have the part store swap my springs cuz the spring compressor i had wouldnt fit in the springs right. i hope that helps some.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
If you want to make it really easy, but a set of new front shock mounts, have the front spring/shock combo assembled ahead of time, so all you have to do is bolt the new assembly in. That alone will save you hours.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Rich95XR7 said:
If you want to make it really easy, but a set of new front shock mounts, have the front spring/shock combo assembled ahead of time, so all you have to do is bolt the new assembly in. That alone will save you hours.
That is the way I did mine, helped out a lot. Also rear spring isolators, possibly the lower shock bolts in the front.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so I need front shock mount, front shock bolts and rear isolators then?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
You don't absolutely need them but you won't know to you start ripping things apart. If you want to be on the safe side then you should get those things, or you can wait til you start and go from there. I went with new Isolators to get the poly ones, new front shock mounts so I didn't need to dismantle my old shocks/coils, and my lower shock bolt was in good condition so I re-used it.

·
Registered
418 Posts
make sure you get the rear fairly high off the ground on stands.

you will have to put your foot on the RLCA to get the srping out....you'll need the travel space to push it down that far.

the writeup on MN12 performance is the tech article i used and had all the info i needed. make sure you torque everything back per the specs.

a great DIY mod even for the beginners.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got the one side done.. well the front left :) I know what to do now. the rest should be cake

·
8,239 Posts
get a good life insurance policy if you are compressing/decompressing the front spring/shock assembly with one of those hand compressor deals.

JH

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
JustinH said:
get a good life insurance policy if you are compressing/decompressing the front spring/shock assembly with one of those hand compressor deals.

JH
I second that! I did the front struts on my New Yorker and I those were big. I took out the coil/shock combo, looked at it and said "I need to go to the parts store". I got new shock mounts and put the new stuff together. The old ones are still together in my garage.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Almost got the right side removed minus the damn upper spindle bolt. Damn thing wont come out. ne tips?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
So..

Shock mounts, front shock bolts, and rear spring isolators eh???

Can Dan N. hook me up with these parts? (Motorcraft will be fine I am assuming right?)

Good thread... I plan to have someone else do the install I think.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
everything was in good condition.. basically since the car has never seen salt nor rarely a .01 inche of snow. :) it was very easy actually... just have a hammer ready!

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
problem! rear wont go back up... like the axle came out or somthing and it wont slide into the pumpkin so I can rebolt the top part (cant recall name)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts