TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up 2 new tires yesterday and noticed that 1 wheel had no weights on it, is it possible that a wheel can come out balanced without weights. The other wheel has weights, am I being paranoid or what? I'm picturing he did one wheel got distracted or went to lunch and thought he balanced both afterwards.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
of course that can happen......I used to work at discount tire, and sometimes you could rotate the tire on the rim, and get a better balance.(sometimes no weight was needed)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi everyone, well it was just like i figured the tire without the weights was never balanced even though I paid for it ($10.50) each wheel, what a rip-off. The tire needed 1.5 ounces of weight, needless to say I done with that tire shop.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,457 Posts
Lame. How the heck can you forget to balance a tire?

·
Registered
623 Posts
I'm guessing they didn't charge you again, right? Terminator, people make mistakes, have you ever messed up at work? More importantly, have you ever mounted/balanced a tire. Maybe two guys were on the job, and one jumped in or out midway? Atleast they didn't scratch the piss out of a wheel, not tighten a wheel enough, run a lug on crooked, not replace the stems, leave a few old weights on, etc...

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I have seen tires that by chance balanced out dynamically to where no weights were required.

I have also worked off duty in a tire shop and have done my own tires over the last 30+ years and when younger, worked full time there. I have friends who run shops now.

Customer takes time from work, makes arrangements to have the car there, maybe waits for it .... you do not forget to balance a tire if you want to keep working long. After the first couple of missed tires come back, owner starts keeping an eye open for a replacement, and maybe finds one after awhile. Maybe you been doing good last two weeks, then one day you come to work and find you're fired. So sad.

Man running the business needs customers, forgetting to balance a tire can easily cost you a customer and their recomendations to other potential customers ... just that quick.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no, I didn't get charged again, but I told him I was done with him, the last time i was there about 6 years ago it took 6 hours to get 4 tires and an alignment, the place is so disorganized, its like contolled kaos, I don't need that, thanks for your relpies.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Those sound like good reasons to never go back. Glad you got the issue resolved. Hope you find a better place for the future!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts