TCCoA Forums banner

Tire 'feathering' problem ...

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  GreenBird 
#1 ·
I've had my car alligned just fine - well within specs relatively recently. and I'm still having problems with my tires feathering on my front tires.

This has happened with every set of tires I've ever had on the car, recently with my Michelin X-Ones, and now with my Blizzaks.

I'm a bit concerned, especially wth the winter tires, as their tread will just die with it continues.

I DO NOT corner hard at all - and drive really 'softly.' So I don't know what can be the problem.

Any suggestions?

Also - I'll also post this in the 'wanted' section - but I'm looking for Eibach lowering springs, and compatable shocks for my 92 Cougar.

#2 ·
Make sure the tire pressure you are running is good for the tires.
Low or high pressure can eat tires.

danman

#3 ·
I check my tire pressure religiously (once every 2 weeks, at least), as it happens - ever since I noticed the problem - about two years ago. I kinda just ignored it, as it wasn't a huge problem for me on the Michelin X-One's - but I'm very concerned with the much softer Blizzak tire compound.

#4 ·
knife edge

When standing next to the tire, place your hand on the tire-tread and rub your hand across the tread, does it feel as though the tread has a knife edge to it?
Pulling toward you if you feel an edge to much toe-in, pushing away from you and you feel the edge to much toe-out.
I've also but rarely run into to much positive caster.
have your shop check your alignment values, all they have to do is install all 4 heads and scan it, this will show all the alignment angles.
Fuel man~~~

#5 ·
I ran 245/50/16s on my front, and found the insides wore much quicker than the outsides. I got a 4 wheel alignment, but the edges still wore... I'd attribute that to putting on a tire that was much bigger than the stock 225/60/16s.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.