TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weeeeelllll.... You guys were right.
Went down today, cash in hand, to get the 255/60-16's on the rear of my 7" stock rims, and after complaining a little online last nite about what installers would/should do, yup, Karma kicks in an now the Manager's there an stymies the project. Says they'll explode off the rim and the car'll get impounded and he'll be liable....
Should'a kept my mouth shut an not tempted fate...:mad:
I guess it's a trip to the the Wrecker and hunting on Ebay for some 15's or something..... Damn... I was soooooo close....:zbash::rofl:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure exactly what it is you are trying to do? :confused: :zdunno:
Yeah... its an ongoing saga....:rolleyes: I was looking to keep the 225/60-16's on the front an go to a wider/taller tire on the rear. Wider footprint, but fill the 'well and create a little 'lift' in the rear. I dig the look.....
Problem is the 7" wide sport rims. I wanted to Shoehorn a 255/60 on the rear, and no one seems to manufacuture one. Found a place that sold Kuhmos in that ratio, but the shop manager stepped in last minute an veto'd the install... KILLED me. I was counting on getting a boatload of rubber in the rear, a little wider bite, but a taller look as well. Seems I"m @#$ forced to buy an 8 inch rim to get what I want, a 15, to keep my desire to fill the wheelwell economically... I buck tradition.... I"m not putting 17's, 18's on this car. I want TIRE in the a$$ of this thing, and I cant afford to 'tub' the rear right now:rofl: I dunno...:confused:

·
The Parts Guy
7,349 Posts
I'm going to guess that you went to a chain store and that you took the entire car there instead of just the wheels. Most of your chain stores will only install the tire size(s) recommended for the car they are to be installed on. Typically, if you just take the wheels in to have the tires mounted up, or if you go to a "mom'n'pop" shop, they won't question it.

-Rod

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
go to another store, and bring them the wheels off the car....if they ask, tell em its for a dirt track car.

They can not be held liable if they don't put them on the vehicle.

edit: damn Rod, we were thinking the exact same thing!!

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
why do you want such a wide footprint and tall side wall on such a small rim? Performance of the car will be wallowy. Such a tall side wall will cause the tire to shift and the sidewall to flex under duress. Like the 245/60/15s I had many years ago, the side wall would roll under when pushed.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to guess that you went to a chain store and that you took the entire car there instead of just the wheels. Most of your chain stores will only install the tire size(s) recommended for the car they are to be installed on. Typically, if you just take the wheels in to have the tires mounted up, or if you go to a "mom'n'pop" shop, they won't question it.

-Rod
Yeah Rod/95, I goofed, thought I was all set.. came to that idea after the fact. .... The deviant in me realized too late...:diablo: would've brought them the rims alone if I thought it was a problem.. Got their input cause I wasnt convinced the 255's would fit. After looking at clearance issues, it's a lotta Meat back there on stock suspension.....

TGO:
Yeah, I realize the handling would suffer, but I'm a PITA for the 'stance'. I'd be HAPPY with 245's if I could FIND em.... I drive like grandma unless I'm beating it in a straight line.... I don't kick this thing in the turns and I really want a specific look to the 'bird.. I LOVE the offset tire look... Cant STAND it. I guess I'm relagated to acquiring a 15 set w/ 8" in the rear to make me happy.. .I dunno....

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
have your stock rear rims widened..

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I used 255/50/16's and thought they were great. Handled good, drove nice, looked outstanding. No problems mounting them, took the car in, they mounted them, no problem. I sold them to another member for his SC after I got my 17" Cobras which i put 255/50/17's on. It looks great as well.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
x's 2. you've seen my thread. get 'em widened. get your tires. have 'em mounted and call it a day and enjoy what you want.
I know... I did think about that..... Briefly....
Its stupid, I guess, but I was trying to get the look I want as cheap as possible. If I'm gonna throw $$ at the stock rims, I'd rather just pony up an buy something better, ya know?? I'm not REALLY a fan of the saladshooters, just wanted to keep rim/tire mods 'in budget'. But thanks for the info, I'll say I'm certainly surprised, didnt think anyone would actually 'sign off' on cutting an welding a rim for street/strip use for you...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I used 255/50/16's and thought they were great. Handled good, drove nice, looked outstanding. No problems mounting them, took the car in, they mounted them, no problem. I sold them to another member for his SC after I got my 17" Cobras which i put 255/50/17's on. It looks great as well.
Ya know, that's what I thought, too!!!
I've mounted 10 inch tires on 7 inch rims for customers back in the day. I really dont see what the anal-retentive fuss is all about...:confused::mad:
I"m gonna have to go with my first thought and find another joint that sells that Kuhmo and simply bring 'em the rims and figure it out once they're home.....

BTW, How long ago did you have those 255's installed??

·
The Parts Guy
7,349 Posts
BTW, How long ago did you have those 255's installed??
I know the question was directed to Traveler, but I figured I'd throw my experience in, too. I've been running 255/60-15's on 15x7's on the rear of my 94 since early '03 (about 80,000 miles). With the Vogtland 1" drop springs and Airlift bags in the rear, the car handles pretty well, and I push it relatively hard from time to time. The real limiting factor in handling on that car is the stock sway bars, though if I were to upgrade those, the tires would be the next limiting factor.

-Rod

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know the question was directed to Traveler, but I figured I'd throw my experience in, too. I've been running 255/60-15's on 15x7's on the rear of my 94 since early '03 (about 80,000 miles). With the Vogtland 1" drop springs and Airlift bags in the rear, the car handles pretty well, and I push it relatively hard from time to time. The real limiting factor in handling on that car is the stock sway bars, though if I were to upgrade those, the tires would be the next limiting factor.

-Rod
Thanks, Rod....
I know... I picked your brain on this right away... I was actually COMFORTABLE thinking with the drop you put in the suspension on the 15's, I'd be able to get the 255/60-16's/stock suspension with no problem. It's hard enuff to find dealers that sell this size, but now I'm gonna have to find another dealer to bring the rims to, OFF the car, to get this done. How Stupid.
I dunno. Seems like it was easier a few years back to get guys to do 'custom' stuff for us. Now I keep hearing the same refrain... "I'll get sued"... Geez, I thought I was hip, but guess I wasnt paying attention as to how far this runs....
When did this country get so LITIGIOUS that mechanics/installers are now also forced to worry about the ramifacations of a change over 'stock'??!??
:rolleyes:Sorry to whine... All I want is Tires and Exhaust for Christsakes..... Seems IMPOSSIBLE to get anyone to take my $$$ lately.... :mad::mad::mad:

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Sorry its take a while to get back to you. I had the tires for most of a year, I'd have had them on there longer but I hit a deer in Nov. 06. I sold them to the other member because I found a GREAT deal on a set of 17" Cobra R's on ebay and needed to buy tires for them.

I sold them to Matt in Wichita, he'll tell you how they're doing now.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry its take a while to get back to you. I had the tires for most of a year, I'd have had them on there longer but I hit a deer in Nov. 06. I sold them to the other member because I found a GREAT deal on a set of 17" Cobra R's on ebay and needed to buy tires for them.

I sold them to Matt in Wichita, he'll tell you how they're doing now.

Yeah, you've got some nerve taking so long!!! :rofl::rofl:

Hitting deer=:thumbsd:
Free Venison=:thumbsup:

Ok, I'll pm Matt... What's his handle??

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Finally remembered.. Matts username is kansas supercoupe

1 - 17 of 17 Posts