TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Boost!!!
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
the silver slut has 255 50 17 on it right now, and the rears are really bald, and need to be replaced. i want to get some firehawk wide ovals, but i also want to go a bit wider.

im not sure of the offset of my wheels, but the current setup does stick out past the fenders a little already. they have only rubbed once since i have had the car, and that was on a BIG bump on the highway. anyways... my question is, would 275 50 17 look/perform good, and fit well ?

the car is lowered 1 inch, and the wheels are 17x8 bullits. i looked at this chart, http://www.wheelcityusa.com/tires/chart.htm and height wise the 275's are .79 of an inch taller than the current tires. i just need a good street tire as i cant afford drag radials right now.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Why are you looking to go so wide? If you do go 275, I suggest you only put them on the rears. The general consensus around here is 255 is as wide as you'll want to go on the front.

·
Super Moderator
12,248 Posts
275/45/17 or 275/50/17 in the back.

245/45/17 in front.

Are these on 9" rims?

·
3,734 Posts

·
Boost!!!
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
275/45/17 or 275/50/17 in the back.

245/45/17 in front.

Are these on 9" rims?
17x8 rims
right now it has 255 50 17 all the way around. i just wanted to go a bit wider in the back. the front tires are fine. they still have a good bit of life left in them

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,368 Posts
Running 255/45/17 Wide Ovals on all fours, no issues with rubbing et al, although traction from a stop does become an issue if you mash it. :D The fronts I bought used with about 60% tread on them and the rears were new. I'm thinking I'll move the new tires to the front and get wider tires for the rear when it comes time to replace the used tires I bought. The only Wide Oval size available that's wider in the rear for 17s is 275/40/17 which is a little shorter than I'd want, but I could live with it. Ron's right, 275/45 is about the sweet spot, but I don't know of anyone who makes such a size.

·
Super Moderator
12,248 Posts
Sorry, yea, 275/45 doesn't exist.

Racecougar runs Nitto 555 245/45/17 front and Nitto 450 275/50/17 in back on 17x8” front and 17x9” rear rims.

In back you're going to be restricted by the rim width to the same 245 or 255 size as the front.

The issue in going with 275 in back is the contact patch and the side wall stability in hard corners, since the side wall has to bend in-wards to accommodate the puny, embarrassingly small and thin wheel. Not to mention you run the risk of the bead unseating with too narrow a rim. I would not do a 275 on a 8" wide wheel, it's just too small.

If you want to go larger in back you're going to need to step up your rim size to 9 or 10 inches, which I'd highly recommend on a car making as much HP as the slut. Frankly, I'm surprised that it has only 8" rims on it.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
I run 8" tires on a 6.5" wheel.

275's will be fine on an 8" wheel.

It takes a lot of pressure to unseat a bead on a wheel...

a few here run 275's on 6.5" wheels, with no ill effects.

·
Boost!!!
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, some after searching i decided to get a couple Riken Raptor ZR's in 255 50 17. i have read good reviews, and they were only 130 bucks a piece shipped to my house...i couldn't see spending a whole lot on my first set of rear tires, considering my driving habits with this car right now. ill get some better tires all the way around when the new wears off... :D lol

·
Super Moderator
12,248 Posts
Good choice. I've heard good things about them too.

·
Boost!!!
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good choice. I've heard good things about them too.
yeah i read some good reviews on these on an ls1 forum i found in a search. if they can take the low end torque of the ls1, and get into 1.8-1.9 60' they must be a decent tire

·
3,734 Posts

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
With a rim that width 255/50/17 is pushing it lol I'm running 255/50/17 on all fours on a 7 1/2" rim it's a tight squeeze lol you'll enjoy the Rikens until they get near their end. They go to crap in the end of their life (at wear bars). I'm currently running Nitto INVO's with great results. Eventually I want to go 275/40/17 all around but that's dangerous with my rims, I'll need to upgrade to wider rims. Enjoy the new tires. I got great life out of the Rikens I had, if I was hard pressed for cash I wouldn't hesitate to buy them.

I have a set of Riken Raptors that came on the SC they are made by Michelin.
I heard they were made by BFGoodrich. Any proof to either claim?

·
Boost!!!
814 Posts
I heard they were made by BFGoodrich. Any proof to either claim?
Michelin is who makes them, i'm pretty sure

i got them today i'll try to have them installed tomorrow, and get some pics. and maybe a burnout vid finishing off the old tires :D

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Why is it scolling up and down the edited message on the bottom of your post below your signiture. Thats weird

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,368 Posts
Because there's an unclosed marquee tag at the end of Blake's signature.

<marquee scrollamount=1 direction=up loop=true height="100"*FOR SALE:

Should read:

<marquee scrollamount=1 direction=up loop=true height="100">FOR SALE:</marquee>

1 - 20 of 30 Posts