TCCoA Forums banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Partially for looks, partially to save on raw materials for the tire companies. Overall, I like the look better than the old tires that had massive sidewalls. There's probably a performance gain to be had too but ride comfort is sacrificed. Like anything, it's a trade off.

So we've been talking about this for a few days now. Have you decided on something yet?
I can't say I noticed any difference in ride quality going from 255/50/16 down to 255/40/18.

I did notice a marked improvement in cornering response due to less flex.

Long story short, I think the primary reason that more companies are reducing the number of 15 and 16" "performance" tires is lack of demand, especially in such small contact patches as we have with 215 and 225 series tires.

There are enough tires out there for replacement for older cars, especially in a very common passenger car size like 225/60/16, but not many "performance" types in that size. For Muscle Cars, you have the specialty aftermarket repops like Coker, but as we well know, if you want to upgrade the performance on your 1960's or 1970's muscle/pony car, more modern sized (larger diameter, wider series, lower profile) improves cornering, traction, and acceleration dramatically.

Reactions: Trunk Monkey

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I'm probably going with the coopers. I'll see what my local shop can do for me and then plan on getting then mounted in the next few weeks. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Cooper Cobras on my tbird have made a few people smile. They are an inch shorter than stock was and worse in the snow mostly because they are wider than stock.

The white letters give a sporty muscle car look without high cost.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I wouldn't put anything on that's a smaller diameter than stock. The 26.6" tires have a tough enough time filling in the wheelwell, anything smaller looks like a big car with tiny tires!

Al

Reactions: Woodman

·
Registered
408 Posts
I wouldn't put anything on that's a smaller diameter than stock. The 26.6" tires have a tough enough time filling in the wheelwell, anything smaller looks like a big car with tiny tires!

Al
Not to mention probs with speedo/odo calibration.

Hopefully, I will never have to see a car like my Tbird made into a low-rider with teensy wheels and tricked out jumping suspension. If I didn't think these gang-bangers would shoot (or stab) me in my face for it, I'd laugh in theirs.

The opposite is true, too. I think most cars with giant 22-24" wheels and 1" sidewalls look just as ridiculous as those sporting lawn mower size wheels.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Not to mention probs with speedo/odo calibration.

Hopefully, I will never have to see a car like my Tbird made into a low-rider with teensy wheels and tricked out jumping suspension. If I didn't think these gang-bangers would shoot (or stab) me in my face for it, I'd laugh in theirs.

The opposite is true, too. I think most cars with giant 22-24" wheels and 1" sidewalls look just as ridiculous as those sporting lawn mower size wheels.
I think these cars look great with 26-27" tires on 18" diameter wheels, 9" wide, and 1.5" lowering springs to "fill in" the wheel wells. Not a low rider, not on crazy small tires, not using a ton of sidewall to "fill" the wells, and getting you a nice, wide contact patch at the same time.

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
19,704 Posts
Lowest I’d go(and have gone) is 26”. It works better visually if you have wide tires/wheels with an offset that puts them flush with the fenders, and also 1.75-2” drop lowering springs - from a purely aesthetic standpoint I still believe 17x9 wheels with just shy of 26” tires(usually Mustang sized 245/45 or 275/40) and a 2” drop is the sleekest looking an MN12 can get, IF you can live with scraping everywhere and being on the edge of alignment range.

·
Premium Member
2,643 Posts
245-60-15 BF Goodrich radial T/A's are nearly stock size but wider and work on our stock rims. I have used those and the 255-60-15's as well. The 245's work better with tire wear.

Just my 2 cents

Reactions: Zep5.0

·
Premium Member
2,643 Posts
Pics of 255-60-15

I ran these on the back of the 1MTNCAT. Ran the 245-60-15 up front but have run those all around.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,916 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I got the Cooper Cobra's. Had a heck of a time with vibration afterwards, but the shop worked through it. Had to replace 4 tires, we think the warehouse stored or rotated inventory incorrectly. Now that I got 4 good tires balanced, I love them.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Read the post above your's, that's the OP.

Al

·
Registered
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0 in restoration
971 Posts
I ran the Cobras in 235/60/15, then a set of BFG radial t/a after that in the same size. Just slightly smaller than stock height. The BFG were all around a bit better tire. Noise and ride quality was better plus a bit more grip. Cobras looked nice though. My last set was BFG in 245/60/15. Still on the car with 80% tread, but over 16 years old. If I were to replace the tires on the 15's I'd get the same thing again. I'm likely going 18's once the car is painted and reassembled.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
What tired did the OP go for?
I went for sleep... That's my usual when tired.

I ran the Coopers, really liked them once the vibration was worked out. Then mid/ late summer the vibration came back. Re-balanced the tires, rotated them, etc. no luck. Got Cooper to replace the set and were sent strait from them, not a local distributor. They mounted 1 tire, with 7oz. of weight it still vibrated on the balancer. They replaced the tires with BFGs 235/60/15 . Couldn't have been better.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts