TCCoA Forums banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Overall even when the Coopers were not rattling my teeth loose, the BFGs perform better. Wet & Dry. She's my daily driver ~63 miles / day. While the wet traction may not be as good as an all weather tire, she still performs well. I drive fairly aggressive and do tone it down a bit when raining, but rarely have I had her fishtail unexpectedly.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I've had good luck with Nittos. Ran a set of their NT555s on 17" wheels for about ten years with no issues other than an occasional re-balance. Good wet and dry traction, nice appearance, reasonable noise. When I switched to 18" wheels I upgraded to the new NT555 Gen 2 tires, and liked them equally well. Wet traction is said to be better with the Gen 2s; I didn't notice much difference. But, with the new motor setup the car could not hook even on dry pavement, so I added NT555Rs on the back. They have been a pleasant surprise, with not only improved traction but decent handling and noise level. They aren't scary in the wet, either, at least so far with a reasonable amount of tread on them.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
It rained toward the end of the day today, was wet and drizzly on the drive home and people were slow.... I was more aggressive than usual in the rain/ wet roads. I'm very pleased with the BFGs. Really only broke loose from a standstill when making an aggressive turn, slight correction and was easily back at it. I'm sold on them, at least at a factory 15" rim size.

·
Administrator
13,979 Posts
I'm in the market for Tires for the Explorer (Ours is a 2016). So what's the latest and greatest in SUV touring tires in 2021? Do you guys have any recommendations or preferences?

For reference I'm currently running the Nitto NT 421Q on the Explorer. They're a decent tire, but they're noisy on smooth pavement. I see Nitto has a new 420V that was released around July of 2019. Anyone have any experience with these or thoughts on them?

What tire's are you guys running on your SUV's or Pickups?

·
Registered
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0 in restoration
971 Posts
Continental LX series on the wife's Honda have good traction in wet and snow. I will say they are a bit rough riding though that may be the short sidewalls.

·
Administrator
13,979 Posts
Continental LX series on the wife's Honda have good traction in wet and snow. I will say they are a bit rough riding though that may be the short sidewalls.
What size are they?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Last tires I ran on my Ex were Toyo Open Country. recommended my a friend that's a mechanic and I've been really impressed with them.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts