TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took possession of a 2001 Town Car last year. Tires are in good shape but 10 years old. I want to replace them but the car will mostly set in driveway without much miles added (currently 70k). Sailun tires get really good reviews in the RV world. Anyone here able to throw out suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
9,312 Posts
I've been using General tires lately - Altimax RT43 on the cars during the warmer months and Altimax Arctics on them in winter. Relatively inexpensive, quiet, good wear (I drive a lot for work - 25000/yr. or more).

·
Administrator
8,055 Posts
I have the Altimax Arctics on my Fusion and can also say they are great tires, haven't left me stuck yet! :gapteeth:

Joe

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I have also had excellent luck with General tires. I have General AS-02's on my Thunderbird (directional, Z rated, all season), had General Altimax Arctics on every car I've driven in the snow since 2009, and on my 2002 Crown Vic I had Altimax RT's for summer tires, which were a good performing, all season tire.

For the price, the tires they make are great. They're owned by Continental, which also makes an excellent tire. They wear well, get plenty of miles out of them.

·
Super Moderator
12,083 Posts
What ever is on sale,lol
This.

If you don't drive it much and when you do you're just driving it around town. It doesn't really matter what you put on it.

·
Super Moderator
4,941 Posts
Can't comment on driving in snow and ice, but if I had a '01 Town Car, I'd be on nothing but Michelin..............
I dunno, last set of Michelins I had dry rotted within 2 years.

Best tires I've had on the Cougar yet for ride and wet and dry traction (for Grandpa driving) were some Yokohama P225/65R16s that I bought as pulls. Fantastic traction in snow and ice also.

As pulls, they lasted longer time wise than the MIchelins did.

Most Michelins I see in the boneyard are dry rotted ...

(Could just be the sun down here in Louisiana, though. Could just be bad luck.)

For me ... since our car is a Cougar, I want some Goodyear Tiger Paws *grins*

RwP

·
Super Moderator
10,663 Posts
It would be cool to take an old set of tires, and sipe them with kitty footprints for car shows; I'd ink the tread before I drove in, lol.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
I put the General Altimax RT43s on my Cougar. They do seem to hold the road well when I push them, or roast them ;), they don't scream like a cheap tires does. So while they do handle pretty well they never have been perfectly balanced, even after taking them back to a different shop to get balanced. So I don't think I would but them again just for that reason.

My Tbird got a new set of Dunlop Signature II, they are perfectly smooth and all around better feeling tire IMO. They seem to not grip quite as well but that is due to the smaller size; non sport skinny 15" tire. The Dunlop are also made in New York which I like to see.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts