TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm going to try this out. I get asked all the time what tires people should get, so I decided to make a Tire Review Post. I need submissions in this format to make it easy to consolidate here on the forum.

Size
Brand and Model
Approximate Price Paid
Mileage so far on the tires
Dry Traction on a scale of 1-10
Wet Traction on a scale of 1-10
Snow Traction on a scale of 1-10
Additional Comments including whether you recommend them or not.

This should help us along pretty well, if we can make it workable. If multiple reviews on the same tire model are listed, I'll consolidate and average the numbers.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
225/60/15
Goodyear Eagle RSA
$400
30,000 miles
Dry Traction: 5
Wet Traction: 2
Snow Traction: 1
Comments: Absolutely the worst tires I've ever owned. Dry Traction is mediocre, absolutely no wet traction. I had to take off in 2nd gear on any wet road, and still got a bunch of spin. I prayed for the day these were worn out, so I could replace them. I would not recommend these tires to anyone.

·
Registered
850 Posts
225/60/16

Yokohama AVS db S2

Miles: ca. 30k so far.

Price 96 each from Tirerack.com

Dry traction: 9/10
Wet: 8/10
Snow: 5/10(based on only one experience)
overall handling: 8/10

comments: great tire overall; find a place with a Hunter GSP9700 Roadforce balancer to balance (tricky)
Would recommend them anytime in non-high-snow areas. VERY quiet.
Tons better than the overpriced crappy Michelin symmetry that I replaced.

Reactions: beechkid

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
225/60/15
Dunlop SP Sport A2s
$58 each (tirerack.com)
Dry Traction: 8
Wet Traction: 7
Snow Traction: NA
Nice tires with good traction, but the treadwear rating (400) is misleading. Within 10,000 miles, the tires looked like they had lost half of their tread. I recently sold them with the car.

225/60/14
General 2000s
$53 each
Dry Traction: 8
Wet Traction: 7
Snow Traction: 8
Fantastic tires. Traction was great in all weather conditions, and the tread never seemed to wear.

220/65/15
Yokohama Avid
$65 each
Dry Traction: 5
Wet Traction: 2
Snow Traction: 1
Good tires with very good treadwear, but atrocious traction in any element.

·
8,239 Posts
235/60/16
Kuhmo KH11
About $240 for a set of 4
10k Miles
Dry- 9
Wet- 8
Snow- don't try it, they are summer tires. I don't know.

Great tire, dirt cheap, treadwear is below average, but they are so cheap, I would buy another set. Pretty quiet tracking.

·
Super Moderator
3,616 Posts
275/35/ZR18 & 245/40/ZR18
Kuhmo Ecsta Supra 712
$170/$128 each (tirerack.com)
Dry Traction: 9 (When temps are above 70F)
Wet Traction: ??? (Never drive the car in the rain)
Snow Traction: NA (yeah right)

Great tire for your recreational T-Bird. Excellent treadwear so far. Not a good tire for colder climates. The price has gone up since I bought these however.

·
motor city poster
2,029 Posts
255/45/17 Kumho Ecsta 711

$81 each from tirerack.

Dry Traction-7
Wet-6
Snow-(havent used them in snow, even tire rack doesnt have a snow rating)

approximately 6K miles put on them, good for warm,dry traction, for stock t-bird. When colder i can break loose them and i have a factory t-lok axle with 3.27. Virtually no wear on these. look excellent.

215/70/15 BF Goodrich Radial T/A's

$69 each from tirerack

Dry Traction-8
Wet-5
Snow-5

i have put 15K on these tires and have gone through about 1/2 tread. Very sticky tires for a stock tire size, but also very soft. The white letters are a plus, i think they look very good with the stock 96/7 salad shooter wheels.

215/70/15 Cooper Weathermasters (Wintermaster snow tires)

$49 each wholesale through work

Dry-7
wet-5
Snow-8

i have only had these for about 1,000 miles on my 1990 LX v-6 beater bird. These tires have gotten that car through anything the michigan snow can throw at them, with an open 7.5 inch diff. no problems with 5-6 inches of snow and 2 all season tires in the trunk for weight.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
245/45/17 Kumho Ecsta 712

$94 each from tirerack.

Dry Traction-8
Wet-7
Snow-NA

On my second set. I got 25,000 from the first ones, although the dry traction dropped off significantly after about 18,000 miles. I autocrossed on them a lot, so I had a good feel for the traction over the life of the tire. They definitely perform better after warming up. When the first set wore out, I was going to try the Kumho MX, or the BFG KDW, but since these are less than $100 each, I couldn't justify the more expensive tires.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
205/75/15
Nordic Wintertrac (front)
Dry 7/10
Wet 7/10
Snow/Ice 10/10

Cant remember exactly but it was about 90-100 each for two. Nothin special on pavementbut really shine in the winter, I can put the car sideways and recover no problem on ice/snow. I'd recommend these to anyone who lives with snow.

225/70/15
Firestone Wilderness AT
Dry 7/10
Wet 7/10
Snow/Ice 5/10

I know they're truck tires, but I kinda like to have them since my Cat goes everywhere. Very good on pavement and mud. In the snow they spin easily and on ice it takes a gentle touch to get going without spinning and sliding the back end out. The Nordics up front really help with having these on the back.

Very good combination on the highways in the winter. Got home after almost a foot of snow fell on December 30. No problems stopping even quickley on slick roads. Ive had the Nordics since Aug. And no noticeable treadware, the Firestones are older and are starting to wear down, (my fault though spinning on pavement :D )

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Summer tires:
215/60-15
Cooper Cobra Radial GT, R/W letter
$82.00 each
about 16,000 miles so far
Dry - 8
Wet - 7
Snow - n/a
My summer tires. Used two seasons so far. Nice profile. Quite tire. Nice cornering tire dry and wet. Spins a little thow on take off. Still have about half tread life after two seasons. I've been pleased so far. I recommend !!

Winter tires:
Rear,
215/70-15
Cooper Weathermaster II's (Studded)
$69.00 each + $15.00 to stud.
Front,
205/65-15
Cooper Weathermaster I's
$59.00 each
Dry - 7 both
Wet -6 both
Snow - 10+ !! both
Excellent traction in snow! good grip on ice. Good stopping power. But do give up some handling. Haven't gotten stuck yet! in fact, have pulled a few people out!!
Def. Recommend!! Have tried studdless tires, never again. They can't compare to a studded tire.
;)

·
Registered
744 Posts
225/60R16
Goodyear Eagle Nascar
~$400
22,000-and no tread left
dry 8/10
wet 7/10
snow 7/10
these tires look very nice (raised white letters), but they have a lower speed rating then stock and were designed for a smaller vehicel then ours. these tires-97S, stock-97T, thus resulting in poor milage.

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
225/60/16
Mastercraft Sensys
$80 per tire
10000 miles so far
Dry Traction 8
Wet Traction 8
Snow Traction 7
A very good all around tire. good traction all the way around, holds the road very well in most conditions. Would've been much better if the shop had known what they were doing the first time. I highly recommend them.

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
Size 215/70R15
Brand and Model Goodyear Assurance w/ Tripletread tech
Approximate Price Paid $100 installed
Mileage so far on the tires approx 10,000 miles
Dry Traction on a scale of 1-10 9
Wet Traction on a scale of 1-10 10
Snow Traction on a scale of 1-10 6 (10 being studded snow tires)
Additional Comments including whether you recommend them or not. I bought these in May and have taken them to the dragstrip... not too bad. I have driven them on rain, dry, mud, dirt, ice and slush... they do not perform well on PACKED snow and ice, but great on all other surfaces.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Bfg T/a

Size - 225/60/16
Brand and Model - BfGoodrich Tractions T/A - H speed rated
Approximate Price Paid - 85ea
Mileage so far on the tires - 10,000
Dry Traction- 8.5
Wet Traction - 6
Snow Traction - N/A

So far these have been awesome tires, great traction overall. I can take corners much faster without any slippage. They feel like they are hugging the road when driving on the highway. One complaint is that they get a flat spot when car sits for couple of days, it goes away after driving the car for a few miles. I would definately buy these tires again and would recommend them to everyone.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Size: P225/60/R16
Brand and Model: GoodYear Aquatred 3
Price: (Cant give exact price, bought used, still new, paid $100 for two with 93 SCwheels)
Mileage so far on tires: 1500
Dry Traction: 7
Wet Traction: 8
Snow Traction: 6

I have noticed that they have quite a soft sidewall, which plauges almost all Goodyears. In the dry its pretty good, I have never broke traction or had wheel spin (on dry pavement) which I purposely didnt do, although the soft sidewalls discourage cornering speeds. Wet traction wasnt as good as i expected. I accidently spun the tires on a wet road under light accelaration. I guess there actually needs to be water on the road for these tires to take full effect. On the snow they are actually somewhat good. I didnt get stuck once in 1" deep snow, (going ~35 mph) nor spin out in .25" thick ice

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
Size: 215/60/HR15
Brand and Model: Hercules H3000 Directional "H" Speed Rated Radial (Manufactured by Cooper)
Approximate Price Paid: Actual Price Paid Is $49.00/tire Mounted And Balanced/w Road Hazard Warranty
Mileage so far on the tires: About 30,000, Give Or Take A few 1,000's
Dry Traction on a scale of 1-10: 9.5 (very grippy tire)
Wet Traction on a scale of 1-10: 8 (way better than previous tires, pep boy's futura , blecch!)
Snow Traction on a scale of 1-10: Unknown, (no snow here since i bought them) Ice Traction Is About A 6.5,
Treadwear: 9, Down To About 3/8th's Tread, Not Bad For A 50,000 Mile Tire
Gripes: One Tire Was Defective, (Lumpy Center Tread) Had To Drive Back 70 Miles To Get It Replaced Under Warranty,
Bottom Line: Very Impressive Tire For The $$$'s Directional Tread Looks Great, Very Quiet On The Road, Very Responsive To Cornering And Changing Road Conditions, Definately Recommend!...........:D

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
255/45/WR17
BFGoodrich KDWS
118$ tire @ tire rack
30,000+ on the fronts, alot less on the rear (driver input :D )
Dry Traction 8
Wet Traction 8
Snow Traction 5 (I drove a whole winter with these, about as good as lowpro All-season tire can get)
Highly recommended, GREAT tire for the price and definately worth 20$ each more than the Kumho 712's I had. They also let you know when you are on the edge of loosing grip on corners.

245/45/R17
Kumho 712s
99$ each
Barely got 20,000 out of them
Dry Traction on a scale of 8
Wet Traction on a scale of 6
Snow Traction on a scale of 0 (tryed once, NEVER AGAIN)
I don't recommend them, if you can't pony up 100$ more to get better tires then get them I suppose. Sidewalls were pretty soft and the tires gave NO warning of when they where about to loose grip on corners.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Litning said:
Size 215/70R15
Brand and Model Goodyear Assurance w/ Tripletread tech
Approximate Price Paid $100 installed
Mileage so far on the tires approx 10,000 miles
Dry Traction on a scale of 1-10 9
Wet Traction on a scale of 1-10 10
Snow Traction on a scale of 1-10 6 (10 being studded snow tires)
Additional Comments including whether you recommend them or not. I bought these in May and have taken them to the dragstrip... not too bad. I have driven them on rain, dry, mud, dirt, ice and slush... they do not perform well on PACKED snow and ice, but great on all other surfaces.
i replaced my goodyear eagle nascar's with these, but in the 225/60R16 size. so far so good, i think they perform better in the snow then stated above, but i live in slightly warmer climate(philly), they have a stiff sidewall which helps with traction, but the car bounces around more due to this

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
215/70/15
El Dorado Vision GTS
Dry Traction 7
Wet Traction 6
Snow Traction 5
$50/ea
~25,000 miles

This seems to be a good tire for those on a budget. They've got raised whit letters and look good on these cars. Handling is pretty good also.

Joe

1 - 20 of 123 Posts