1,197 Posts
Size: 245/50/15
Brand and Model: Dunlop Qualifier GT
Price Paid: $400 out the door mounted and balanced
Mileage so far 8K
Dry Traction 9
Wet Traction 7
Snow Traction 6.5
Additional Comments: Best comprimise for a daily driver. I was going for the Traction T/A's but they weren't in stock and I've had good luck with Dunlops before. Quiet, smooth and low maint. Raised white letters are a plus and they have a nice beefy look. Handeling is good to great. Lower wet and snow is probably due to being wider.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Size: 215/75/15
Brand and Model: Kuhmo Solus KR21
Price Paid: $375 mounted and balanced
Mileage so far about 1k
Dry Traction 10
Wet Traction 8
Snow Traction yet to be tested
Additional Comments: Very good tire over the Goodyear integrity's i had on there before. Provides a very nice, quiet ride, the handling is great. Tread wear is very good, even through the 2 doughnuts i gave em, they still look brand new. Im defiantley going to be purchasing these tires again!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Size- Stock replacement on the fanblade wheels
Brand and Model- They are some cheap off-brand, multi-mile
Approximate Price Paid- $280 for all 4
Mileage so far on the tires- only 700miles no treadwear
Dry Traction- 9
Wet Traction- 7
Snow Traction- N/A but soon to find out
Additional Comments- Just put them on last week. Took a bunch of 90* turns at 35 with no sqealing. Very hard to spin them but when i do, its very little and it becomes "uncontrolable". In the rain it fairly hard to break loose. I'll go sideways more in 2nd gear starts than 1st. (open rear end)

·
Registered
844 Posts
Size - 245/45-18
Brand and Model - Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R
Approximate Price Paid - $550 for 4
Mileage so far on the tires - 500
Dry Traction on a scale of 1-10 - 10
Wet Traction on a scale of 1-10 - 7
Snow Traction on a scale of 1-10 - No. Just...no

Got these for autocross, to replace the Cooper Zeon Sport A/S that I had on it before. Where the Coopers had an ok amount of grip to give, these RE-01Rs are amazing. They just keep on sticking, and when they're pushed too hard, they don't just let go, they gradualy give way. Even in the rain, they're good, way better than I expected with a tread pattern like they have.

These have been discontinued in favor of Bridgestone's new Potenza RE-11, and I'm not sure how the RE-01R compares, but it's still an amazing tire

·
Registered
32 Posts
Tire Evaluation

i have just scrolled through the list of sample tires. some good, some bad in my
opinion. where it appears that most were bought due to price, no one mentions
how much pressure is used (air) over my 41 years in the tire business, I have watched installers put whatever they feel like on a given day and heard many
people say how bad a certain tire is but when you ask how much air they are
running they don't have a clue. 1 pound can change handling a lot. most all season tires will get at least 40k if they are rotated, air checked every month and aligned
REAL WORLD most don't even take advantage of the free services provided by
real tire pro's. to truly evaluate tire brands, you need to gather more info on
maintenance....TIRE JOE

Air Pressure

Get some white shoe polish, make 3 or 4 small stripes on the shoulder of the tire
so it also wraps slightly down on the sidewall. set air pressure to mfg specs (off
door jam) and drive.

Take some corners you are comfortable with and see where
the shoe polish has rubbed off. if on the sidewall bump air 1 pound. if on the tread
lower 1 pound. do this until dialed in and then enjoy the maximum handling those
tires will provide. (notice i did not pitch brands)

·
Registered
892 Posts
get some white shoe polish, make 3 or 4 small stripes on the shoulder of the tire
so it also wraps slightly down on the sidewall. set air pressure to mfg specs (off
door jam) and drive. take some corners you are comfortable with and see where
the shoe polish has rubbed off. if on the sidewall bump air 1 pound. if on the tread
lower 1 pound. do this until dialed in and then enjoy the maximum handling those
tires will provide. (notice i did not pitch brands)
Thank you. I haven't seen that in 40 years. I had completely forgotten that trick. I was 16 and working in a service station and my boss used to sell "custom air pressure" services for $15. That 's exactly what he did. I got oldsheimers early I guess, completly forgot it.

Brad

·
Registered
552 Posts
Size: 215/35/19
Brand and Model: Pirelli P Nero zero
Approximate Price Paid: € 175 each which is $130
Mileage so far on the tires: 3000 mls
Dry Traction on a scale of 1-10: 9
Wet Traction on a scale of 1-10: 8
Snow Traction on a scale of 1-10 (have never seen snow)

·
Banned
613 Posts
this whole entire thread is invalid because no one even explained how the point system is rated. determining the correct value for each rating. a simple 1-10 isnt good enough.
you have to explain what 1 means. got to tirerack.com. thats the only place you should listen too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Having driven on alot of different tires, I notice that some people have been rating their tires as an 8 or 9 that I would rate at 3-4. I race and tires mean everything, I have not found any tire (under 200 each) that even compare to the new Cooper Zeons. They stick like you are glued to the ground. Goodyear F1's excellent but plan on replacing them every year. My rating system would rate properly prepped race slicks at a 10 for traction, and Toyo Proxxess as maybe a 2 at best. Having said this I rate Cooper Zeons as a solid 7.5 both dry and wet. My previous tires, Kumho Ecsta's a 5 dry and 3.5 wet, Toyo Ultra 800's 3 dry 2 wet, and believe it or not the new General Altimax 6.5 dry and wet. Just my .02 cent worth, but Mr Roush agrees about the Zeon's ( they on Roush Mustang's).

·
Banned
613 Posts
Everyone has their own opinion. I personally like using customer survey, comments and test videos.

I have Bridgestone potenzas re960s

·
̇
3,701 Posts
I'm running Goodyear F1's..I don't put a lot of miles on my car..but I don't have any complaints..excellent handling tires..

Rayo...

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,849 Posts
BF Goodrich Radial T/As . No complaints..excellent handling tires & low noise:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
The only problem with Tirerack is they don't sell every brand of tire, and don't do reviews on tires they don't sell. Plus, Joe Blow doesn't push his tires as hard as professional drivers and may believe their tires are great because that's all they know (besides the worn out tires they're replacing). Any new tire is better than most worn out tires. If we could hear from professional drivers I would believe reviews a lot more. Mr. Roush spent a lot of money testing tires, I'll listen to him before soccer mom or 18 YO kids any day! Just trying to help my fellow T-bird owners get the most bang for the buck.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
10,274 Posts
Firehawk Wide Oval

I've had Firestone Firehawk Wide Ovals (Ultra-high performance category, 255/45/17 @ 40 PSI) on the car now for about three months and they're doing exactly what I hoped they would do. They are my summer months only tires; my "old" tires that I will reference in comparison to are Firehawk Indy 500 (Performance all season category, 215/70/15 at 33-35 PSI) which I will be using in the winter months. I must note that the front two tires I bought used with about 60% treadwear remaining; they are about 6 years old now. I don't drive the car hard by default, however I do push it pretty hard on occasion which led me to discover the limits of the narrow and tall stock tires. I was looking for a tire that wouldn't hydroplane over puddles at high speed, a tire that wouldn't squeal or break free during abrupt maneuvers or high speed cornering like my old Indy 500s (215/70) did, and a tire that wasn't going to cost me a fortune.

I can take a 15 MPH rated 90 degree turn at 35-38 MPH without getting a chirp. I have yet to break them free under any circumstances.

Steering response is amazing - with the old tires the car would follow the steering wheel in a leisurely fashion. These tires seem to anticipate what my next move will be and do it as I'm moving the wheel. Probably sounds strange but the first time I took the car out on the new tires it took me a few miles to get used to it. The car feels extremely tight and glued to the road.

I haven't had them long enough to evaluate the treadwear, but after roughly 3000 miles they still look pretty much new.

The noise level is most apparent under sub-30 MPH driving and maneuvering, especially when under braking where a bit of a "rough road" feeling and sound shows up. Otherwise the noise level is slightly above average but still very tolerable.

My fuel economy doesn't seem to have been affected much, before the tires I would average 19 MPG in the city and that doesn't seem to have changed. Old highway MPG was an average of 24-26 and now it's a more constant 24

Going over bumps and road imperfections is much more pleasant with the shorter sidewalled tire; the impact doesn't seem to "resonate" within the tire sidewall as much and the effect of the impact is over and done with much sooner. The overall effect of going over a rough road seems lessened by a small factor compared with my old tires, perhaps 20%.

The hydroplaning resistance is also much better than my old tires. A good sized 1-2" deep puddle on the right side only at about 30 MPH is a common encounter of mine. With the old tires the steering wheel would pull to the right as I drove through it and the car would lurch as it forced its way through. The Wide Ovals - even though 20% wider - plow through in a much more effortless fashion. I notice no steering wheel pull and the "lurch" effect on the car is gone. I have yet to evaluate high speed hydroplaning resistance, however I am confident they will do very well based on these experiences.

On wet roads they perform admirably. I can't go into too much detail here however because I don't try to find the limits of my car on wet roads. I have noticed less slipping overall, but I can't comment on how they would respond to the aggressive side of driving they experience with the dry weather.

For $155 a tire, I certainly recommend these to anyone looking for a high performance, road gripping tire that won't break the bank.

Dry grip: 9/10
Wet grip: 8/10
Hydroplaning resistance: 9/10
Cornering stability: 9/10
Noise: 7/10
Steering response: 10/10

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
I second that, firehawks wide oval, the best tire i've ever had and will go back to buying another set in the fall season, love it!!!!!unbelievable performance for both dry and wet driving. Here in No.Cal, I call these tires my all season tires, since the area i live in we dont get snow, so this the tire to have for this climate!!!!!

·
Registered
400 Posts
245/60R-15
Cooper Cobra's
$85 each
Dry Traction: 6
Wet Traction:4
Snow Traction: N/A
Additional Comments: It was a mediocre tire. It wasn't my favorite tire it almost got me killed on more than one occasion going around a corner. The front tires wore bare in about 14k miles.

245/60-15
Uniroyal Tiger Paw
30,000 miles
$90
Dry Traction: 7
Wet Traction: 2
Additional comments: It was an ok tire, nothing special. Traction was nothing to make a special note of. They did however have a longer life

245/50R-16
Kumho Esctas ASX
17,000 miles
$98
Dry Traction: 7
Wet Traction: 7
Additional Comments: These tires were great in water. This tire made me very confident in the rain, even with traction assist off. They did not last long, however I did also make some nice passes at the track with them.

245/40ZR-18
Nitto NT555
6000 miles (still 75% life)
$125
Dry Traction: 8
Wet Traction: 7
Addition Comments: I have these on my new '11 5.0 and they are great. Granted these are not drag radials but they hook very well even with ~385 whp (no dyno yet). At 2000 rpm I get a good launch with minimal wheel spin.

·
Super Moderator
13,650 Posts
Nitto Nt05r Drag Radials

Brand and Model: Nitto NT05R Drag Radials

Size: 285/40 R18

Price Paid: $581 - Base Price $498 ($249 each), Mounting $35, North Carolina Sales Tax $48

Mileage so far on the tires: N/A - Approximately 50 runs down the 1/4 mile.

UTQG Treadwear: 00, zip, zilch, nada, fugetaboutit
Traction: B

Dry Traction on a scale of 1-10: 100 Yea, a hundred. These are Drag Radials after all ... :D
Wet Traction on a scale of 1-10: N/A
Snow Traction on a scale of 1-10: N/A

Additional Comments including whether you recommend them or not

Very good drag radials, these tires are a new design available as of early 2010. I recently ran my best 1/4 mile of 11.77 at 113.62 on them and they're capable of much more.

I run these tires at 15 psi; 1.6 and 1.7 second 60' times are the norm with these tires on my car.

Yes, I would highly recommend them.

*If you want these tires for a 17" rim 275/40 R17 is your size.

If you're interested in reading more MM & FF magazine did a review of these tires in a 315 size back in March of 2010, story below.

The numbers in the comparison article are a little askew because the baseline runs for the article were made on 275/40/17 NT555R drag radials compared to the NT05R's in a 315 size.

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/mmfp_1003_nitto_nt05r_drag_radical_tires/index.html

·
Registered
519 Posts
What was the longest lasting 17" tire you've had?

For me it was Kumho Ecsta 711 in 245/45/17 size.

They are hard as a rock, no grip off the line, loud, fairly good wet traction due to large water channels and they lasted me 30,000mi which is something that has not happened since I had 15's. It was 30,000mi of "easy" driving.

BFGoodrich Radial T/A's are great for treadwear, but I want something one up from those in the handling department. I have a set of 225/70/15 on the 96 and it is real easy to slide that car around. (im quite good at it now...)

I'm about to buy tires. Right now I've got a set of maypops on there.
I have 16" 96 sport wheels and 17" cobra r's. I have the option of the either wheel set.

I'm thinkin of doing some paint work on the 16's with charcoal or gunmetal.

P.S. I have read the tire review sticky.

Kumho Ecsta 711 Available in:
15 inch: 185/65-15, 185/55-15, 195/65-15, 195/60-15, 195/55-15, 195/50-15, 195/45-15, 205/60-15, 205/55-15, 205/50-15, 215/55-15, 215/50-15, 225/50-15
16 inch: 195/50-16, 205/55-16, 205/50-16, 205/45-16, 205/40-16, 215/55-16, 225/50-16, 245/50-16, 245/45-16
17 inch: 205/40-17, 215/50-17, 215/45-17, 215/40-17, 225/55-17, 225/45-17, 235/45-17, 235/40-17, 235/45-17, 245/45-17, 255/45-17, 255/40-17
18 inch: 225/40-18, 235/40-18, 265/35-18

·
Super Moderator
13,650 Posts
The Ecsta 711 is a discontinued model.

You do know there's a serious trade off in performance for longevity? Sliding the car around is something you generally do not want to do.

Why didn't you put this in the tire review thread?

If you're looking for recommendations - In my experience - go with Sumitomo HTR Z III, Nitto NT555 or Nitto NT05.

Best wishes with whatever you decide to go with.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Yes, I am looking for recommendations. Sorry for being vague.

Well, it figures the best wearing 17" tire out would be discontinued. It seems like tire companies are making tires burn off quicker, or maybe I'm driving a little harder... hmmm

I'm not tokyo drifting this thing and I thank you for your concern trunk monkey do not worry though, please. They are small controlled slides, off of the public roads. There is a nice abandoned warehouse district by my house with wide open, freshly paved roads and clean fill/grass on either side.

81 - 100 of 123 Posts