TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 'bird has 215/70/15's at the moment that need replacing. I am on a tight budget, and have found a pair of 255/60/15's which I am thinking about buying and putting on the rears with a pair of 215/70/15's (that I have stored in the garage) on the front.

I know of one other person that has a similar combination on here, and I was wondering what other people thought? The o/d's are approximately the same, but I am a bit worried as to whether the extra width on the rear will affect anything else (ride quality/handling).

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
That size will (just) fit on your 6.5" wide wheels... but i'm not sure about clearance issues. The miata tire size calculator shows them to be a little wider then 235/60/16's and nearly identical in height (.1" diff).

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Generally speaking, the extra rubber on the rear might cause some understeer (front end losing traction first under hard cornering). Depending on your driving style, you may or may not notice that. Upping the front tire pressure a few pounds compared to the front would make it less noticeable.

cheers
Ed N.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I was always told that 245's are the biggest you could (safely) go on the stock 15" wheel.

I have used 245/60/15's and they look and drive great.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I wondered about that earlier but according to tirerack.com BFGoodrich and Goodyear spec a 6.5" min. / 10" max. rim width for their 255/60/15s. Firestone on the other hand says 7" ~ 9" and Dunlop 7" ~ 10".

All on them base their measurments on a 7.5" width.

·
Registered
367 Posts
i'm gonna try to get some pics of rear this weekend. it at my friends house 50 miles away. getting ready to go in the garage for body work, body kit , paint and wheels. but i'll post some pics with the rear. before i put the news wheels on

·
Registered
367 Posts
no i dont have any clearance issues, but it did give it a nice stance, theres about 1- 1/1/2 fender well gap i'm thinking. i'll have to go down. i miss my car already. haven't had it for 2/1/2 months cause of snow.

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info. Sounds like they're worth a try. The 255's are on Ebay over here at the mo. 215's are slightly harder to get hold of for some reason.

Fastbird, if you do get a chance to post some pics I'd be very grateful.

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
I run 255/60-15's on the rear of my 94, with 245/60-15's on the front. Though I run those on 15x7" wheels. IMO, a 255 tire on a 6.5" wheel is pushing it.

Here are a couple older pictures, but you get the idea:

-Rod

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I run 255/60-15's on the rear of my 94, with 245/60-15's on the front. Though I run those on 15x7" wheels. IMO, a 255 tire on a 6.5" wheel is pushing it.

Here are a couple older pictures, but you get the idea:

-Rod
Thanks for the pics Rod, with 2nd thoughts I think you're right about them being a bit wide for a 6.5" wheel. I spoke to a tyre shop yesterday who pretty much said the same.

·
Registered
1994 Tbird - JO'Neil long block, TFHS trans, Quarterhorse tuned
418 Posts
I was always told that 245's are the biggest you could (safely) go on the stock 15" wheel.

I have used 245/60/15's and they look and drive great.
i agree with traveler.
i have used 245/60/15 for a long time....highly recommend that size on stock tbird fan wheels.

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah I think I'll take your advice. Thanks guys.

·
Super Moderator
12,660 Posts
235/60/15's here. The picture below was taken before I lowered the car 1.6" with Vogtland springs.

There's a great article HERE that discusses the difference between 235's and 245's

I read this article, specifically the "Changing tire size on stock rims" section, and based my decision to go with the 235/60/15's on it.

If you want to go with the 245's they'll obviously work too. Like racecougar said, a 255 tire on a 6.5" wheel is pushing it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts