TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how wide of a tire I can put on the front of my 95 sc? It has 17x9
Cobra rims. I have 245/45/17's on it now. Answers are much appreciated..

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
you might be able to go upto a 255, but not any higher.

I would run 245/50-17, closer to stock height.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Well, I think you can run 255s up front without little to no rubbing, and up to 275s out back for some great drag traction. :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where?

When you mount the 255 on the front, where does it rub? On the spindle support or on the body somwhere? I would like to know because I'm setting up the car for SCCA circut racing and I don't need tires that rub on the spindle support.Tires are the last thing I need to get.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
255's will not rub if your wheel offset is right. I have about 3/8 of an inch between the rear sidewall of my tire and the upper ball joint knuckle. I'm running 255/50-17 BFG G-Force KWDS tires on mine.

·
Registered
477 Posts
OK

For starters, the stock on an LX is 215/70 15. Well, I went to 17's and put 225/55's on it. The tire diameter's are almost identical (I mean off by like .05 inches or something). I used this site http://www.c5-corvette.com/tirecalc.htm . Put in your stock height ( I think on SC's it's 225/50 16, not sure), and then the size(s) you are debating and it will tell you how far off from the original size you are. It will also help you out in discovering how far off your speedometer will read. I went with the size because of it's small, small change, and my speedo reads accurately still. And yes, 255's are the widest on the front, and I have read of people going as wide as 285 on the rear. Hope this helps.

Pat

·
Registered
825 Posts
I know someone with 275's all around on their sc and no rubbing at all. Then again, its got early style spindles, :D

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I need some tires, and I need some traction. Anyone have pictures with a 275 on the rear? Does it stick out of the fenderwell at all

1 - 9 of 9 Posts