TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought these to replace some Voxx wheels I cracked on the cougar....

My car is very traction limited... I'd like to change that... Knowing there are several others running this size wheel, What would be the Stickiest, Largest, Baddest MF'er tires you would suggest running on these things?

Thanks,
-Ryan

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have 245/45/17's. Nice and wide.
but the ride sucks ass. If you look the wheels at 245 are made for a 9" wide wheel. Cornering sucks... soo....

I'll probably be dropping to 235/45/17 the 245/45 was much cheaper (esp when the fuzions were on sale...) but the car is squirrely when going around corners etc. ( I bought the wheels with the tires.)

·
Super Moderator
12,248 Posts
That's the Cobra R style rim. IMHO the best looking rim style on a T-bird.

And yea, as has been said the 245's fit best on a 9" rim.

·
Registered
200 Posts
235/55R17 or 245/50R17 would be your best choices for that wheel width.

cheers
Ed
The biggest issue is that 245/50/17 is extremely expensive (Tirerack starts at 130 a tire for this size.)

245/45/17 starts at 61 bucks (fuzion's on clearance.)

The 235/55/17 is a better choice b/c it starts at 80 dollars a tire...

·
Registered
200 Posts
are you on 7" wide or 9" wide wheels checken?

I need to nab a pic of mine. When I turn a corner I can feel the side wall stand up then flop over as the contact patch moves around...

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,792 Posts
are you on 7" wide or 9" wide wheels checken?

I need to nab a pic of mine. When I turn a corner I can feel the side wall stand up then flop over as the contact patch moves around...
7"s around package , I love them , handle well rides decent , 255s 50s I have handle the power better

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,368 Posts
No need to roll fenders for 245s on a 7" wheel. I am running 255s on 9" wheels and have no problems.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Darren, Do those Hankooks hook at all on the street? Or would you suggest another tire?

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,792 Posts
Darren, Do those Hankooks hook at all on the street? Or would you suggest another tire?
Yes they hook pretty good until " BOOST" kicks in :D , They have never seen rain on my bird so have no clue there.

·
Registered
200 Posts
ok then I am totally confused. I seriously thought it was the tires. Sitting at rest you can see the sidewall bend to support the rim. I'll take a pic and see if I can host it.

·
Super Moderator
17,170 Posts
Agreed ... but IMO the 245/45R17, or anything in that diameter, look silly in the giant MN12 fender openings. It's the old saying, you have to pay to look good!! :D

cheers
Ed
Agreed, though I went with 255/45/17s on my 17x9s as a compromise between filling the fenders and complimenting the wheels. Personally, I don't think most 17" wheels designed for car apps look good with a ton of sidewall.

The smaller diameter looks fine at angles but straight on side shots are where they start to look undersized. Mine are only ~1/2" shorter from stock height and even then, I'm still bugged every time I look at this pic :tongue:

·
Registered
200 Posts
what pressure do you run checken?

running stock right now. I grabbed few pics but the tire is out at least 0.75" on each side of the wheel. so when you turn a corner hard, the centerline of the tire no longer matches the center line of the wheel and you can feel the side wall flex and travel. It gives a very numb feeling to the car.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I run 255/50/17's on all 4 corners with 17x7's

·
Registered
200 Posts
fook it, it's worth the cheaper price to try out the fuzions at 245/45/17. (~60 a tire). HOpefully they have a stronger sidewall than the tires on the car right now.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,792 Posts
I had fuzions on my AWD Jag years back, They did not wear even, and very noisy . Just my experience with them . I had the ZRi's.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts