TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need the forum's help in understanding this issue with my 1996 TB 4.6 with 121,000 miles. I have had a continuing issues with what I can only describe as a rather loud tire thumping noise inside the car - particularly in the rear seat. It is not a metallic noise and I do not believe it is a suspension part failure - perhaps a bushing? But, I can not detect any looseness in the rear suspension.

The noise occurs when the tire hits uneven pavement or ripples in the pavement. Perhaps it may be the tires - they are all rather old, but still have good tread. Could they have "harden" over the years?

I have replaced the front upper and lower control arms and ball joints, front sway bar links are good. I also replaced several rear suspension bushings. The front struts seems to be good even at 121,000 miles. I can barely push down on the front end. The front and rear suspension seems really tight. I can take corners and steep curves to the point where my wife is absolutely screaming at me to slow down.

I am at a lose to understand this issue and would appreciate any input that may lead me to correct the noise.

Thanks,

Glenn

·
Registered
412 Posts
Look and feel around the inside and outside of the tire's sidewalls for bulges. If you find any, get new tires. I had a similar situation on my truck. Tread looked fine on the 15 year old tires. However while on the road one day I all of a sudden heard what sounded as if I'd ran over some metal, but the tire wasn't going flat. I got to my son's house and began to search and poke around for a screw or nail in the right front tire. In the process I ran part of a steel belt under my finger nail. There had been a slight bulge in this tire for years, but I never thought much about it until this incident. The belt burst right through the weak rubber, but I still had good tread.

·
Super Moderator
11,007 Posts
What about the rear swaybar endlinks?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both above suggestions are very good and I will check them both tomorrow.

Thanks,

Glenn

1 - 4 of 4 Posts