TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of Kumho KR21, which is the worst tire I have ever had on a car or truck. These China 80K tires are a big joke. The ride is choppy, the tread is really narrow and it shakes the wheel on any kind of bad pavement. I have had the tires re-balanced a bunch of times and are still awful. I don't expect my truck to ride like a Lincoln (or a Taurus for that matter), but there has to be better tires out there.

The tire size that is currently on the truck is P215/75R15. I would like to either use the stock tire size or go with P225/75R15. My question is, for ride quality, would it be much of a difference is I get the 75 or 70 series? My truck never leaves the road but I travel in snow conditions quite often.

I am looking at these two tires:

70 series: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Grabber+HTS&partnum=27TR5GRHTSOWL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Ford&autoYear=2002&autoModel=Ranger Reg 2wd XLT&autoModClar=

75 series: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Destination+A/T&partnum=275SR5DESTATOWL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Of course, I would welcome any other suggestions.

Thanks!:)

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Sure there isn't something wrong with your wheels or truck?

I got some KR21s for my Town Car 215/70-15 last December and they are smooth as silk. Actually pretty good grip for a Touring tire. But this is a Town Car, I wouldn't put them on my Bird. But I go through 3 sets on my Bird for 1 set on the Town Car.

As far a ride quality, I don't think you will notice much difference between 75s and 70's.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have brand new KYB Gas-A-Just on the truck. It helped but not by much. I have no complaints on the grip, they are pretty good in snow due to their narrow tread. Rain and puddles aren't too bad. The wheels are also brand new and the problem followed the wheels. I have replaced everything except the tires.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Any one in particular? Use a hydraulic floor jack and switch the spare onto each spot until you don't have the problem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
if the steering wheel shakes on bad roads you have a steering linkage problem. (idler, pittman,
drag link, or tie rod ends. tire imbalance will come in when the tire reaches shape (50+mph)
if the steering wheel shakes side to side it stands to reason the tires are doing the same while going down the road. jack the truck up under the control arms on both sides, then grab the tire at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock and shake side to side while a partner looks at all of the joints

1 - 5 of 5 Posts