TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for tires for high milage travel but also good traction in the rain. My back end is so light I AM ALWAYS LOSING control in wet weather. I just rebuilt the engine. The car is mostly original specs. I am hard on tires because of my led foot around turns. I do not need any special brand. but I want the best tire I can get. this is a 97 3.8 liter.

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,670 Posts
I've got Falken FK452's on my 94 and love them. I think the wet traction is great, but not sure how many miles I'll get out of them, though they seemed to have a good rating.

-Melon

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
There's a subforum for tires....

·
Registered
348 Posts
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 are the best wet weather tire you can get imho.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
my thoughts

firehawks wide oval are fantastic!!!, the best that i have found.Coming fall i will be purchasing another set, 340-AA-A rating/245/45zr17, griffy during the dry season and boy are they road holding in the rain. ive had kumho's, bfgoodrich,pirelli's and none of them compares to the firehawks!!!!!!but they are not for snow traction!!!

regards,
ramon

·
Registered
332 Posts
The most satisfaction i ever got out of tires was with some toyo T1S when i had my probe... the only time i lost traction in the rain is when i pulled the ebrake like a retard after watching fast and furious... then one day after neglecting the "funny smell" that was coming from where my brakes were I took a corner, brakes locked up for a split second then I hit a curb, hit a tree, then hit a fire hydrant, hit my face on the steering wheel and finally the air bag deployed for the TKO... man i loved those toyos

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,456 Posts
firehawks wide oval are fantastic!!!, the best that i have found.Coming fall i will be purchasing another set, 340-AA-A rating/245/45zr17, griffy during the dry season and boy are they road holding in the rain. ive had kumho's, bfgoodrich,pirelli's and none of them compares to the firehawks!!!!!!but they are not for snow traction!!!

regards,
ramon
:zwthstpd:

I have a set on my summer wheels, 255/45/17s. They are not high mileage tires, however. I haven't had them on the car very long yet but if I get 20,000 miles out of them I'll be happy.

I have yet to break them loose through some pretty aggressive maneuvers on dry roads. The same goes with wet roads but obviously I don't drive it like it's dry out when it's wet.

For a bit of perspective, there's a relatively sharp 15 MPH rated 90 degree turn that people usually take at about 20-25 MPH. I can blow through it at nearly 40 MPH without causing a chirp.

·
Registered
32 Posts
assuming you have stock 16" wheels: goodyear triple tred 80k, goodyear comfort tred 80k, hankook mileage plus 80k, hankook 727 100k, nokian entyre 75k, sumitomo htr t4 75k. All of these are factory backed mileage warranties IF you provide proof of rotations and normal maintenance. (i am not allowed to quote you prices)

·
Registered
240 Posts
The most satisfaction i ever got out of tires was with some toyo T1S when i had my probe... the only time i lost traction in the rain is when i pulled the ebrake like a retard after watching fast and furious... then one day after neglecting the "funny smell" that was coming from where my brakes were I took a corner, brakes locked up for a split second then I hit a curb, hit a tree, then hit a fire hydrant, hit my face on the steering wheel and finally the air bag deployed for the TKO... man i loved those toyos
LMAO as well!!!
sorry i know its not as funny at the time, but the way you reinacted the scenario was a total riot.:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts