TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wonder if anyone with a split port swap has any experience with one of these
http://www.tmaturbo.com/Home.htm is the websited, sorry if this is a repeat.
if this is legit and good quality then im definately gonna get this once i have the cash, but idk anything about the quality or performance other than stated on the website

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Those kits are made for Mustangs and will not fit an MN12. If you want a turbo, it will have to be custom made.

David

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
NOTHING about the kit will fit without custom work. Period.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
umm sorry to make u mad or w/e that was, thanks for COMPLETELY answering that question

although sorry if i sound stupid, but i dont really understand y, engines r the same size, with a split port swap u have that aspect of the mustangs engine, which as far as i know is the biggest difference between the two, ive seen posts from guys with split port swaps debating whether to get sc headers, 96 headers, or 99+ mustang headers, so based on that, the headers should be able to fit, intake would be the same after swap, our engine bay has room for the turbo to sit in front, so the only thing that might be a problem is clearance as far as the headers going to the turbo, and the dump pipe, which isnt that big of a deal

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
I wasn't mad. But after nearly 10 years of doing this, we still find people who think Mustang stuff will bolt up. It's rarely the case in anything that's not purely motor-related.

The Mustangs have quite a bit more room under the hood due to their suspension design (MacPherson strut versus our SLA / coilover suspension) The chassis design of the Mustang also puts the K-Member farther forward in relation to the motor than our cars. Add all that together, and you'll find that next to nothing fits the way you expect it to.

Can a turbo be done? Of course it can. With the proper combination of insanity, skill and money, anything can be made to work. We just want you to know that up front. :D

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i know it would take work but, as long as it bolts up to the engine, then mods can be done to make it fit, so therefore it could work, im know that the cars r different but essentially have the same engines, (in this case after the split port swap), so as long as it would fit the engine, id be willing to work to make it fit the car, as long as i keep it safe

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
The headers...the part you seem most determined to make work....are the number one thing that WON'T work. Our steering shaft and k-member are in the way. Other than that, they'd fit great. :D

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i knew it wouldnt just be plug and play but like i said before but as long as the mechanicals fit, then things can be changed to make the pipe fit, theres the steering shaft mod that is often done to give room for headers and im not sure what can be done to the k-member, but im willing to bet theres some way to change it or the pipe to get the kit to fit, and also if i did find a way to get it to fit, then i could post what i did, which would open up doors for other 3.8's looking for a power adders and give them another option, of course im going to take my time to research it more and if everything goes right and looks good then i will buy and see what i can do with it

thanks for all the input

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Ainline41 said:
i knew it wouldnt just be plug and play but like i said before but as long as the mechanicals fit, then things can be changed to make the pipe fit, theres the steering shaft mod that is often done to give room for headers and im not sure what can be done to the k-member, but im willing to bet theres some way to change it or the pipe to get the kit to fit, and also if i did find a way to get it to fit, then i could post what i did, which would open up doors for other 3.8's looking for a power adders and give them another option, of course im going to take my time to research it more and if everything goes right and looks good then i will buy and see what i can do with it

thanks for all the input
Sure it can be changed to fit, but about the only part of the kit that won't need to be changed is the flange for the headers. If you want a kit for a v6 MN12 talk to Brian at B&G Custom Turbo Fabrications....he said that he would be interested in making a v6 kit but needed a donor car for fitment.

If your willing to completly rework a kit, it would be easier to just build your own.

David

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
David Neibert said:
If your willing to completly rework a kit, it would be easier to just build your own.
I couldn't agree more. Hence why I started with a bunch of U bends, a chop saw and a welder. :D

·
Registered
594 Posts
David Neibert said:
Sure it can be changed to fit, but about the only part of the kit that won't need to be changed is the flange for the headers. If you want a kit for a v6 MN12 talk to Brian at B&G Custom Turbo Fabrications....he said that he would be interested in making a v6 kit but needed a donor car for fitment.
that sounds like a better idea :)

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
David Neibert said:

David
i would consider that, but idk, id be afraid of getting screwed like dirtybird91 (frank) did when he sent to his car as a donor car and im not sure what happend but it didnt work out. and supposedly that shop was reliable.

as far as building mine own kit, im not that good at fabricating, so i figured if i had a base kit then i could make changes where needed to it. that way it would already be set up and then if i had to route it around something i would have to cut out that section and weld in a bend instead of putting together a complete kit myself. which yes that would take fabrication, which ill have some help with some experienced ppl but that would be easier than designing my own kit. i wouldnt have to "completely rework" this kit, just change the few sections that have problems with clearance.

but anyway, either way i go its at least a year off, im just trying to get information and ideas of where to go with my car ahead of time so that ill know what to save up for

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
i wouldnt have to "completely rework" this kit, just change the few sections that have problems with clearance.
I'm trying to tell you that it's not just going to be a matter of changing a few things.....Nothing is likely to fit. These kits are very tight fitting and often require a little sheet metal trimming and notching just to fit on the intended car.

I understand what your trying to do, because I researched doing the same thing on my car. I thought I would just buy a kit for a 94/95 Mustang 5.0 and rework it. Starting with the headers...it wasn't even going to be close to fitting. Key thing that Bill mentioned earlier is the front suspension....there is more width between the strut towers on a mustang than what we have. K-member location and steering shaft are also problems.

David

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
you're going to have to change ALL the pipe routing. Believe me when I tell you this fact. Andy makes every turbo kit specifically designed to be cramped into each mustang engine bay. The mn-12 engine bay is MUCH smaller and differently shaped. Nothing about the piping will fit. The headers will hit the shock towers. I promise you. I have seen pictures of every single turbo kit Andy has sold to the public. BUT Andy makes newly designed kits all the time. If he had a donor car, he could make you a kit in a few months. Why dont you e-mail him and see what he can do? Currently, he is the only company making aftermarket bolt-on turbo kits for the v6 mustang. He does it privately, he's just one man doing what he's good at. But if you're going to buy a mustang kit from him, you might as well just buy all the aprts yourself and weld up all thew tubing, because you'll be redoing it all anyway, with a mustang kit.

I recently read about the race kit installed on a completely stock split-port mustang, at 15 psi it made 450rwhp. NICE!

-Thomas

·
Registered
7 Posts
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73321

heres my build up of my turbo set-up, read through it and check it out, it wasnt all that expensive, id say about 2000 dollars all said and done after getitng all the misc. odds and ends. the headers i bought from mac, and then i had to buy some header tubing from summit and rework the passenger side completely. and play with the drivers side jst a bit, gets in the way of the mount, but everything is different from the mustang to the thunderbird.

if you have any questions just ask or e-mail me at [email protected] or you can buy my set up for $5000....:) my buddies and i can always make up another one:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
As a board member for a very long time I can assure you B&G is a honest company, how do I know? I own it. lol
You can reasearch our background at www.turbomustangs.com as well as many other places. These guys are correct, a mustang hedder will never fit in the mn chassis v-6 or not. Though I am very familiar with the mn12 as I have a super coupe myself. It just won't work it would take a donor car, and at least one month to work it in to our daily builds.
Thank you,
Brian Horne
B&G CUSTOMTURBO FABRICATIONS
740-686-2897
www.bgturbokits.com

1 - 20 of 34 Posts