TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 96 Tbird 4.6 V8, 118,000 miles for sale today for $2500.00, MINT condition.

Was wondering if I could get a little feedback on how reliable the engine & tranny is.

Any suggestions/comments would be greatly helpful.

Thanks

·
5,650 Posts
The 96's are pretty good, better than the 94/95 ones. But the reliability of the car depends on how well it was taken care of. The 96 tranny still has a lot to be improved upon. You really need to find out about that specific car though. How does the tranny shift? Is there a lot of slipping? Does it have the "shudder"? Are all the gears there? Does the engine run smooth? Any missing? Is the power good? Is there a CEL? Does the CEL work? Any other problems? The suspension is guaranteed to be close to, if not already, shot if it hasn't been rebuilt. Make sure the alignment is good. Are there any vibration at idle or at speed? Does the A/C and heater work? How about all the features (i.e. cruise control, windows/locks, horn, power seat, etc.)? Does it have any leaks? Does it make any strange noises? Has the plastic intake been updated with the aluminum crossover?

If all seems well, $2500 is a decent price.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
When ya'll refer to the plastic intake. are you refering to the Intake Plenum or the Intake manifold?

manifold....

check the oil, coolant, and trans fluid.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts