TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after much debating and no conclusion i am still undecided on which route to go.

My 93 5.0 H.O will be getting the exhust done soon and these are my options. your opinions are appreciated.

(KEEP IN MIND THAT I HAVE ALREADY REMOVED THE CATS AND RESONATOR AND HAVE TWO CLEAN 2.25" PIPES COMMING FROM THE EXHAUST MANIFOLDS TO A Y-PIPE WERE THE RESONATOR USE TO BE)

#1 buy the mandrel exhaust true dual setup 2.25" or 2.50" for $150.00 and two flows supper 44.

#2 run a 3" pipe from the first y-pipe (old resonator spot) weld a muffler there then continue rearward to a second Y and split that into two 2.50" tail pipes.

#3 run a 3" pipe from the first y-pipe (old resonator spot) continue rearward with the 3" pipe to one flowmaster muffler at rear.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,368 Posts
Dual exhaust will give you the enhancement of having either an x or h pipe for additional scavenging. Keeping the pipe size down will keep velocity high and prevent you from losing low end torque, but a second pipe will give you additional headroom for additional power if it's added down the road.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
True duals FTW. X cross-over for upper rpm power and a higher tone, H cross-over if you want slightly more low rpm torque and a throatier, muscle-car rumble.

·
Super Moderator
5,022 Posts
I'd go for stainless Mandrel Exhaust Systems if I were you.

2.25" for better low end torque, 2.5" if you're planning to go higher power later.

RwP

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Im now on my 4th exhaust setup and think its finally done except headers. First I ran no cats or res with dynomax mufflers. Then bigger pipe stock routing with super 44s. And coming in 3rd place is was true dual 2.25 header in to 2.5 mid with an h. Im now running 2.5 and an x. I vote 2.5" with an x pipe and some super 44s. Loud and proud sounds sexy too.

I have afew clips at the top of the exhaust section. I should put up another

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well folks i will be doing true duals and super 44s with some snazzy borla tips. thanks for all your suggestions.

Yup it took one day shipping since i live in the same city.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK then

ok update got the exhaust up, welder had to add two lengths of slip on piping to the sections that face the engine to mate up to the ones previously done from the exhaust manifolds. and heres the exhaust system from the exhaust manifolds back with no cats or resontors, i have to admit though that the super 44s are a tad louder than i thought and tone is different from what a fox may sound like with same mufflers. mayabe due to the fact motor is bone stock @ 200hp and the location of mufflers being that on fox bodies hve their mufflers mid body mounted and tone may change when exhaust runs through a tail pipe out of muffler.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
next series of mods will be finding a posi carrier and gears i have a line on real cheap but not sure if i wanna go 4.10s
i was leaning more towards 3.73s

·
̇
3,701 Posts
kids93bird said:
next series of mods will be finding a posi carrier and gears i have a line on real cheap but not sure if i wanna go 4.10s
i was leaning more towards 3.73s
You're AOD is going to shift really early if you go (numerically) any higher than 3.55's..

One way around that is using a Full Manual Valve Body that allows you to control the shifts.. :)

Do you think you could post some pics of your Down Tubes & The middle section of exhaust on your Thunderbird?..Thanks

Rayo..

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You're AOD is going to shift really early if you go (numerically) any higher than 3.55's..

One way around that is using a Full Manual Valve Body that allows you to control the shifts.. :)

Do you think you could post some pics of your Down Tubes & The middle section of exhaust on your Thunderbird?..Thanks

Rayo..
Rayo i didnt manage to get pics of the bend tubing made after the exhaust manifolds to the mandrel exhaust system but as soon as i start messing around down there again i will take detailed pics front to back. what i can tell you is that when i did remove the stock 2 cat pipe my muffler giuy exacted the same 2.25" pipe with as little crimping as possible. real clean exhaust piping from both manifolds back.:cool:

·
Registered
43 Posts
looks awesome

1 - 19 of 19 Posts