TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my R/T Stealth was rearended yesterday with some frame damage and its pearl paint. I'm afraid of them totalling the car, and I think I could make a case and get it repaired to my satisfaction, but to keep it, or not to keep it?

Its a car I've lusted after for 5 years now and finally managed to get only 3.5 months ago, and now it may not survive this incident. If I were to let it be totalled and try to buy another, I'd have hell trying to find one in its condition, its miles, and with some of the things I've put in it already ($932 clutch/flywheel assembly anyone?).

So what would you guys do? I've got receipts to prove the prices I've paid for the clutch/flywheel, timing belt replacement, and the new speakers I put in it, if I look, I could probably find the head unit one as well. I honestly don't want to give it up, but right now its costing me $320/mo in payment and $255/mo in insurance. I can switch insurance and save roughly $70/mo (which I intend to do, very soon), but I'm just not real sure what to do here. :(

And the first person to say "junk it and buy another thunderbird" can bite me, I already own one.

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Keep it. You've wanted the car, you've invested in it, you enjoy it, and you can't replace it... so keep it. If you end up keeping it, find a way to make the finances work out for ya.. The ONLY way I wouldn't keep it is if the frame damage is so bad it cannot be repaired.

EDIT: Just an FYI, my credit union let me keep the loan on my car, given that I had it re-titled and certified by the WSP (washington state patrol)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Agree, keep the car, if you wanted it that bad, there is no question.
Fight for her!

"Out of my cold dead hand"

·
Registered
698 Posts
AJ, we all know how much you wanted the RT. Keep her man. Try to get the insurance company to not total her. When the adjuster comes, make sure he/she sees how good of a condition the car is in and make sure you point out the mileage on it. Oh yeah, and tell him how much work you have done on the car to make it reliable and that ****, sometimes they will give you a break (they did on my cougar, at the time).

Wiz

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
sheepy , how bad is the frame damage? i have seen lots of those frontdrivers if they get hit just right that they never ride correctly again

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well she still seems to drive perfectly fine, the rear bulkhead is buckled a bit, the bumper cover and crashbar are smashed though. I'm taking it to the shop in a few minutes so we'll see where we go from here. Even if I wind up being forced to total it, I'll never find another one quite like it. Only last week did it tip 70K on the odometer, and I've put enough money and time and effort into it that its MY car, its not just A car.

I'll pretty much never be able to find another 92-93 R/T Turbo with mileage like that which I won't have to trek across country for. :(

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I know those cars can go for pretty good prices. So maybe show some of the better examples out there for sale to the insurance so they can get a real world price on it and not just one from a little book. I don't know if that would work but I heard of people in the past showing examples of cars similar for sale.
We all know how much you liked that car and I think you should at least try to save it. My friend had one like yours but NA and it was still an awesome car. He put a lot of time and effort and money into it and someone totaled it in Florida. I remember he was so sad to see it go.
Best of luck,
Shawn

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
If your insurance company is covering you, they'll be a little more lenient than if you're dealing with another driver's company

·
Registered
62 Posts
Man keep it even i liked that car it looked so perfect.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Destructor90 said:
Bondo! works wonders
RIIIIGHT....you haven't seen the pics in the other forum. Anyways, I'm seeing about getting it fixed and its the other guy's insurance thats covering me and my rental car. If all else fails, there's always a lawsuit.

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Screw the lawsuit. If the offer his insurance company isn't to your satisfaction, go talk to your insurance company and they'll do the same process of it all. The difference is that your insurance company is on your side, so you'll get a better deal outta it. Then your insurance company goes after his for settlement.

·
Registered
817 Posts
i bet since the other guys insurance is doing it, theyll prolly want to total it.

though id try my best to get it back.

are you making payments on it, or is it owned outright by you?

i know if youre making payments, they dont total the car until the amount of repairs exceeds the amount of the loan. i got lucky, my loan was 9500(7500 for car, 2000 for warranty, crankwalk insurance), had i not got the warranty, when i was rear ended it would have been totaled, as the bill came out to 7800 bucks. they still asked me if i wanted to just total it anyway, and i was like "**** that, that car kicks ***, now fix it".

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Hate to break it to you, but insurance companies actually start wanting to total it at about 60% of the value of the car. For newer cars, totalling out takes some serious damage. For any older cars like ours, calling it a total loss of assets starts to be a very real threat pretty quickly... I'd still fight for the car if I were you Beau. It may suck to have to do so, but you can use it towards your advantage if you play your cards right

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you can afford to fix it, do it and keep the car. My brother has a 3000GT and I know those cars can be expensive to maintain. I hope the frame isn't messed up too bad.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well the current KBB is $8,950, the loan is for over $10K, and I've still got that extra $1600 worth of value in it. Its at the shop right now, it'll get appraised monday and I'll talk to the shop and to the insurance company then. I'm going to fight to get it done to my satisfaction. As far as the lawsuit idea goes, most places such as insurance companies are rather scared of Naval Jags (some of the most powerful lawyers in the world) so there's always that last ditch effort.

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Who's a navy JAG?

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
I know what JAG is numb nuts, I said who is a JAG

1 - 20 of 31 Posts