TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey folks. it's been a while since i've been on the forums. i'm living in okinawa now and have a silvia (s14) but i'm moving back soon i hope i'm im asking for opinions on a bird to buy. i used to have a 89base, but i need more power. since then i've gone through a turbo supra and now the s14, and i'm wondering sc or v8? i know the sc's are nice and have the rarity factor, but from what i hear the v8s get better track times / same amount of money put into it. anybody own both and have opinions on which to get?

oh, yeah.. what about a blown 5.0?

junk

·
Registered
935 Posts
Here's the deal...

Lets first over look the nicer options that come with the SC and talk strickly about the engine. From what was discussed about this a while back, I think everyone agreed that if you plan to keep your car stock for a while the SC is the better value for it's quicker from the factory. Now if you plan to do mods the V8 is cheaper to make faster for the parts are easier to get, but keep in mind you have to make up the .6 difference between the SC&V8. Another thing is the 3.8 is know for its HG problems so you might want to weight that in too.

I personally would take an SC over a V8 anyday for the fact that they're rare, they already come with a body kit so you don't have to put one on, and the fact that you can get a 5sp too. This isn't even factoring the Seats, Suspension, and all the other goodies that only come on an SC. I'm not downing V8s but I know a lot of people who have done some of the basic mods to their cars and my stock V8 still dogs em...

It's your choice in the end. If you just want something to build up I would go with a V8, but if you want something that's already fast and some what of a collectors piece get the SC. Either way it's a win win for you have a MN12.

-Tim

P.S. on your 89 the paint code is SandalWood Frost (AP) or was there a SandalWood Brown too? My 90 bird (my avatar) has Sandalwood Frost on it, and I was just curious.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Re: Here's the deal...

Tim Groth said:
I personally would take an SC over a V8 anyday for the fact that they're rare, they already come with a body kit so you don't have to put one on, and the fact that you can get a 5sp too. This isn't even factoring the Seats, Suspension, and all the other goodies that only come on an SC. I'm not downing V8s but I know a lot of people who have done some of the basic mods to their cars and my stock V8 still dogs em...

It's your choice in the end.
I gotta go with Tim on this ....... The differences between the LX and the SC are big, then you factor the difference between the performance in the SC and the V8 and the SC come out way on top. PLUS, You can put an SC in the 14's for about $100.00 or so and not effect the way the it runs everyday.

As stated, you need to get a good SC because a bad one is going to be a money pit! (But to be fair, a bad v8 can be just a big of a money pit).

Here's a link to some info you might find helpful. Some of the info is pretty basic but it might help out!

"What to look for When Buying an SC"
http://www.albeedigital.com/supercoupe/articles/buyingtips.html

"Whats the Difference between an LX and a SC"
http://www.albeedigital.com/supercoupe/articles/difference.html

·
Registered
709 Posts
I too would nab an SC

like Tim said the SC is faster, rarer, and loaded with options! Too me the 5 speed option alone makes it well worth it!! Driving a 5 speed is just soooo much more fun and putting one in an LX would cost a fortune!! I also love the side skirts and rear bumper, rims and all the interior gadgets. Stock the SC will do 0-60 in about 7 seconds flat where a 95 4.6 would take about 8.5 seconds!!! I have driven both and can say hands down the SC is much faster. Reliability is the only concern to me now. I do own a LX and have had it for well over a year with no problems at all... Meanwhile I bought an SC and while worried about Head gaskets I killed the susupension! EVERY part imaginable from brakes to shocks are more expensive on the SC.... and then there are extra parts like air bags and stuff to break. I loved my 5 speed SC and it did haul arse but since I don't have allot of money and could only afford one car I had to keep the LX and ditch the problematic SC (tach, gas gauge, stereo and temp gauge didnt work ((not an SC problem just problems with mine)) and the suspension would have cost to much to fix... and beign an 89 I was just waiting for the HGs to go!!! V8s are cheeper on inssurance, maitinance and do have potential if you got the cash... but I love the SCs out of the box power, looks and options much better.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
hey thanks for the feedback folks! i think i've decided on the sc, because of its higher performance and rarity factors. i'll be moving back to the states in a while and i'll definately be a part of whatever tccoa is doing in the virginia area. thanks again!:D

oh yeah, and sandalwood brown was a different color.. it's basically the ugliest color you can imagine.. a really bad medium/light brown

1 - 5 of 5 Posts