TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it crucial to chemically strip/scrape the car before painting? Is a thorough sanding good enough?

·
Registered
708 Posts
actually a good cleaning and scuff is all thats neccisary. paint must be completely dull. 400-600 grit, depending what youre using as the first coat. 400 for primer-600 for base. old paint is some of the best foundations for new paint there is. its already cured and done its shrinking. if you strip and lay new primer, it gets thick and the thicker it is, the more it shrinks. not a good thing. so just feather out any cracked paint spots, fill chips with putty. I would go with 400 grit, and use a good urethane primer- sealer as the first coat of paint on the actual paintjob, right before the base.

that said, you can strip if you want, but as a professional with the right tools, resperators, and a booth to spray in, I hate the stuff. its messy, it burns, it always gets where you dont want it to go. and its the EASIEST way to make a flat panel wavy. should only be reserved for old azz paint that has all these crows feet cracks in it. that stuff needs to be stripped.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Can it be done by hand pretty easily, or do I definitely need an electric sander? I know it would take way more time to do it by hand, but which way would be best? I would love to save $$ on labor by having it ready to be primed. Thanks again for your help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts