TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does the tank need to be completely dropped, or can the front end of it hang down far enough to manuever the pump assembly out of the tank?

if it can hang, is it necessary to pull the hoses that are connected by the worm style clamps (fill tube and vapor crossover)? it looks like these are on the back side of the tank only.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
IIRC the only options are to either drop the tank completely, or cut an access hole in the floor...which I wouldn't recommend. Dropping the tank isn't bad as long as you have a transmission jack...especially when it comes time to lift it back into place...BTW where have you been? Haven't seen you around here in a while.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I never have understood why most American cars don't have an access hole for the fuel pump, a lot of your euro and Japanese cars do.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Seems like you would have gas fumes in the car afterwards? Better think twice before you light that cigarette...

·
Super Moderator
16,817 Posts
Gas fumes, weakened body structure(have fun in the event of a side impact), and the satisfaction of knowing you forever mutilated your car to save at best a whopping 30 minutes of extra work.

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
I just dropped mine this past weekend, yea you have to drop completely. It's not that bad, it was fairly easy being my first time.

·
Super Moderator
9,175 Posts
Yeah, it is actually fairly easy to drop (once you get the exhaust out of the way...). Took me about 2 hours to get it out and down the first time, including the time I spent fighting a rust belt exhaust system.

I'd say the hardest part of getting it out or up is getting the hose clamps on/tight from the filler neck and vent. It took me about an hour to get it back in. I figure if you drain the tank well and support the back side of the tank you might be able to get by without disconnecting those hoses.

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Everything would have gone faster if I wasn't on my back.

Saving up for this!

Well now that I think about it, not sure how I would get the tank out with the cross support on the lift. lol

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6cEN-2-82m8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Super Moderator
7,490 Posts
It is a bit of a PITA to do it without dropping the tank out completely, but it most definitely can be done. If I'm doing one on the ground, I'll leave the fill and vent hoses connected and just let the tank hang, but if I have access to a lift, it is easier to drop the tank completely. Getting the old pump out is easy with the tank hanging, the only hard part is getting that ring back in place because you don't have a good view of all around it, so you have to do it by feel.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Dropping the tank isnt too tough really. Its best if its near empty but if your not that fortunate then having a friend to help drop and lift it back in place would be great.

·
Registered
570 Posts
You certainly don't have to drop the tank all the way. I changed the pump in my SC on ramps in my driveway years ago. Just drop the right side down far enough so that you can work on it. Watch the lines and wiring.

And cutting holes in a unibody car is just plain nuts.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Gas fumes, weakened body structure(have fun in the event of a side impact), and the satisfaction of knowing you forever mutilated your car to save at best a whopping 30 minutes of extra work.
The guy who bought my Cougar cut a whole in the firewall to get the heater core out HA!

That is a sight to see.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I never have understood why most American cars don't have an access hole for the fuel pump, a lot of your euro and Japanese cars do.
My Cadillac has an access panel for the fuel pump but requires you to pull the whole intake off to gain access to the starter...

I guess you can't win them all haha

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Gotta love working on a damn Northstar :(

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
Everything would have gone faster if I wasn't on my back.

Saving up for this!

Well now that I think about it, not sure how I would get the tank out with the cross support on the lift. lol

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6cEN-2-82m8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
thats pretty cool!

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
My Cadillac has an access panel for the fuel pump but requires you to pull the whole intake off to gain access to the starter...

I guess you can't win them all haha
The intake manifold can be removed in less than 1 hour .. not that big of a job.

Most GM's need a fuel pump replacement at or before 100k miles anyways, around $350 for the pump module assembly is a bit high. What you gain in labor rates you lose in parts.

Good money makers for me. :)

·
Registered
492 Posts
The intake manifold can be removed in less than 1 hour .. not that big of a job.

Most GM's need a fuel pump replacement at or before 100k miles anyways, around $350 for the pump module assembly is a bit high. What you gain in labor rates you lose in parts.

Good money makers for me. :)
Oh I would much rather pull the intake anyhow, I have never liked getting on the cold floor under a car 15'' off the ground.

I would much rather pull the intake.

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
all done, i let the tank hang. pump was pretty easy to remove, the float got hung up a little bit. the hardest part was pulling the rearmost clip off the fuel line.

and for those who havent tackled this yet...just cut the rubber hanger for the exhaust. cut a slit on the bottom of it and the weight of the exhaust will split the hanger even more. unbolt the exhaust first.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts