TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To you 3.8L guru's

Way back in the day my friend bought an 88 Bird with the 3.8 in her. Sure she had 150,000 apx. But overall my friend and i were never really happy with the motor or transmission. Long story short, and 3 Birds later, we both own 4.6's and one 5.0 ..

now, I found an 89-93 bird with a 3.8 in her with aroudn the same miles, as of today I havnt heard her fire or run, i plan on doing that tommorow. Bodys in good shape so it has thaqt going for her, but im wary of miles. the intertiors shot, smeels liek somethign died twice in there.

So i ask you , would you reccommend this engine to your grandma? perhaps your pregger sick sister? Or is my assumption correct by saying this engine is crap?.. I thank you for letting me rant.

Pat

·
Administrator
8,255 Posts
97LTDBIRD said:
Or is my assumption correct by saying this engine is crap?
The older ones had issues with the head gaskets and at only 140 hp, you won't be going anywhere in a hurry.

Joe

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
it would probably be fine if you make sure the cooling system is always in good shape, and all the hoses and belt are in good shape also. It's usually only when the engine overheats that it blows the HG, but if it does overheat, it WILL blow the HG. Broken hose, belt, waterpump, stuck thermostat, etc.
-Thomas

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
The only way I'd recomend a Pre 96 3.8 with high mileage to a non-gearhead is if it had 96+/SC heads on it.

But honestly your talking a AOD and 93 3.8 with 150k miles on it. Not the kind of vehicle for your average American (they just want to get in and drive, and not worry about tranny life, coolant age or how much gas is in the tank).

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
tyhe 3.8L is pretty much a pullet proof engine 200K+ miles except for the headgaskets.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
yeah, i've had mine for 5 years, and the guy before me rebuilt the motor. new years eve i hit 200,000 miles. though the engine probably has more on it. because he had to replace the odometer at the time of the rebuild which was ~100k. but like thomas said, gotta keep that cooling system in check. if you don't you'll regret it big time.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Like everyone else said, I only have 160k miles on mine, it starts up immediately, doesn't smoke or use oil, had to replace the head gaskets, but don't know if that was cause or effect (the hose to the overflow maybe came off, so it is possible it was dumping coolant out that and eventually ran low, causing it to overheat, or from the design and aluminum heads on cast iron block the gaskets wore out), and the AOD, but that also went out in a spectacular fashion (emergency stopping from 85 MPH with an Explorer cart wheeling towards me on the interstate, guy behind me doesn't start slowing, I have to go off the side of the road, decelerating and braking on the serious rumble strips, then no more OD).

I have no problem with my wife and two kids getting in and driving it, it doesn't do long trips but that is because we have a 2000 Grand Marquis for that, but I wouldn't hesitate to take it on a 2k mile trip in the heat of the summer or anytime or weather. I wouldn't likely buy it for her to drive though, but since I have had it for 11 years, I know everything about it, no real suprises. I would probably buy some econobox craptacular car like a 3 year old Taurus or Corolla if I was buying for someone like that.

Since I took the time to do the head gaskets, and took it in the shorts with the AOD, I am keeping it around and on the street for as long as I can. I am even going to put money in it, and I put the 16 inch 7 spoke Cougar Sport wheels (early XR7 wheels) on it from my 97. I still drive it as much as I do as the 97, it is a dream to drive compared to even 2 year old economy cars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts