TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been putting it off for long enough, so I decided to do some work on the exterior today.

First up: stop at the local advance auto parts..... Pick up Mother's clay bar kit, two step polish and wax, wool bonnet, terry cloth bonnet, and some other odds and ends.

Next: wash the car twice by hand to remove dirt ans stuff like that.

Step three: spend 3 hours clay barring teh car, going through two bottles of detailer to lube up the bar.

Step four: wash again

Step five: Buff the car twice using the wool bonnet and polishing compound.

Step six: wash again

Step seven: apply 2 coats of mother's wax

step eight: buff the hell out of the car with 3 new micro fiber towels

Step nine: a final coat of Meguiers deep crystal carnuaba wax.

10 hours after the start, I have a much nicer lookin kitty with fewer scratches, a much deeper wet paint look, and a really sparkley thing in the driveway.

Pics to come one of these days.....

My arms are friggin killing me.

·
RWD is for Men!!
236 Posts
Pics to show the hard work?

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Did you do all this by hand, including the waxing? This is when an orbital buffer comes in handy my friend. Much quicker, and your arms will be thanking you.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The buffing was done with a variable speed buffer.... the first 2 coats of wax were with a random orbital... and the last coat of wax was by hand....

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PS: I am taking a couple pics tomorrow I think... as long as I can find the camera.

·
Registered
480 Posts
for all the stuff you used and the money spent, if it was me, i would just wet sanded the whole car with 2500 grit sandpaper and buffed it all out with medium compound then hand waxed the rest :zdunno: . woulda saved some time and $$$

·
Registered
316 Posts
did the same today
oh man had to work in the heat too,
go from the driveway back to the garage, then to the driveway to rinse, and back to the garage, to polish and detail. then my brother came by with his fiero gt. he got to take me car out for a test drive, loved it, and wants to make his more powerful.

he might go turbo, with a new engine, or take a supercharged engine from another ponitiac.

next step for me is 5%tint on back window and matching 35% on quarters and front two.
and new inserts for the thunderbird sc on the bumper and maybe some new guages. summers looking sweet. hopefully no HG blow. i hate that.
this way the cali cops wont hassle me so much. and ill be ablle to see at night.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, they didn't come out to be the best pics, but here goes.... (PS: the whole project only ran me like 40 bucks, and since I ran 3 calls during the time I was doing this, I get 33 back in call pay) The pics just don't do justice to the car.

My car and my "other ride"

The front of the car....

And the trunk lid (Which used to be severely scratched to hell)

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
Hmmm...

There's some awfully familiar looking parts on that car...:wavey: :ssalute:

Looks good Brian! Now come out and do my car!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll trade you a j-mod for a detail job ;)

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess its a personal pride thing to have the nice lookin car at our house.... We all keep our stuff looking good... but I take the extra time to keep her real nice.... I wish I had the car for a nicer bird or cougar, but I work to make mine as nice as possible

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just remember that mine runs without having to work on it every other week.... BTW: It also looks alot nicer.... too bad the stupid sun visors do not fit....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts