TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i have a 89sc and right now i got crapola kyb shocks. i was wondering at $400 for all 4 new tokico's for the adjustable are they worth it? im preety sure my firm ride setup is in workign condition that i can just slap them in there. im not sure though

but what im asking is. at that price tag are they worth it? and how can i tell if my firm ride setup is in working order so i can just slap the shocks in ?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Don't spend your money on the Illumina 2s. Many people who've had them, including myself, have experienced premature failure on these units. Sure, they have a lifetime waaranty, but how many times do you want to change them ?

I'd suggest either the factory Tokicos sold through Motorcraft, or one of the non-ARC shocks like Bilstein or Koni.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
with the blisten's or koni's dont those drop your car about an inch and a half? my front end alreaghty sits preety low

an inch a half lower than that on ny streets = no good with all potholes and whatnot

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Springs hold the car up, not the shocks ... they will make no difference to your car's ride height. Shocks are there to dampen the movement of the springs. The only exceptions to this are:

High-pressure gas shocks like some of the KYBs, you might get an extra 1/4 to 1/2" out of those on some vehicles.
Air-assist shocks, commonly used for carrying heavy loads or trailer-towing.
"Overloader" or "coil-assist" shocks, also used for heavy loads.

cheers,
Ed N.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have been holding onto a set of OEM ARC struts and shocks from my 1994 SC and if you are interested I would be willing to sell them. All 4 are in excellent condition. E-mail me if you are interested. I was looking to get $120 for the set. The rear shocks have polyurethane bushings in them and the front has the poly bumpstop.

Rich

·
Registered
970 Posts
so a question......
Is it just the Illumina's with the problems? Or are the blues bad too? (I see most of the people with problems are running the Illumina's......is it the adjustability that goes wrong and allows them to soften up too much?)

-jw
(in the search for something affordable now)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts