TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i finally got around to installing new shocks in my SC. After a 2 years stint of clunking and the whole car shaking when i go over bumps, I am now thoroughly enjoying a suspension system that is not 20 years old...

Tokico blues seemed like a great compromise between performance and cost. I decided to go with non ARC shocks, mainly because of cost, and reused the factory springs. They are still all nice and shiny black, not rusty or anything. Kyb shock mounts were used, and they seem like very stout pieces.

Post-inspection of the old pieces tell me the factory shock mount bushings were loose and worn. The shocks themselves pretty crusty. I had replaced the entire front end last year so everything came apart and went back together without a hitch.

The install went very well, and i wasted no time to get out and put them to the test on the road. No more clunks over bumps was the first noticeable difference. The car no longer bobs up and down when riding on dippy roads or coming up over hills. And the cornering.... Well, i can say with confidence now that my tires are definately the weak link in the handling!!!

No leaning hammering around corners at full throttle. Steering input and feedback has improved. I dont think the front tires were planting very good before when cornering, but now... Absolutely inspiring ride compared to before. It just feels a lot less like a big car.

So, I realize for some, Tokicos may not be enough, but for my street driven weekend warrior cruiser, they feel fantastic!

Now i just need some new rubber!

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,808 Posts
True ! I as well like the setup:thumbsup: " street driven weekend warrior " the bird here 2 l:)

·
Registered
892 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Earl, you get rid of those cut sport springs let me know. I might be interested. I really like your ride height

·
Registered
294 Posts
I've had them on mine since 2000, and with Eibach's since 2003. Replaced them once under warranty (no questions asked from shox.com). About 170,000 miles of driving it.

With decent tires (I have SC wheels and 235/60's), I think it's the best mod anyone can do for every day driving comfort.

·
Super Moderator
7,669 Posts
I'll chime in here and say that I also love my tokico blues. I used them, along with a set of eibachs for the coil conversion to my MarkVIII, and for a daily driver, the combo is just about perfect. The ride is still smooth over bumps, but body roll is way down and the car is much more predictable in the corners. Before, with the air ride, I never trusted the car going through turns. I put a set of bilsteins in the back with the factory air ride, and all that accomplished was making the ride harsh, but still just as sketchy in the turns. Not that I'm knocking the bilsteins in general, they just made the ride noticably harsher, and didn't help with a worn out air ride system, but they are now in the race car, and perform very well there. Anyway, the ride with the tokicos and eibachs is smooth over most bumps. When you hit a big bump, like a pothole or something, it does get very stiff and is noticably harsher over those, but for most daily driving, it is just as smooth as with the factory suspension. Going over rolling hills and through mountain roads and such, the shocks keep the car planted very well, and made it a lot of fun. All in all, I wouldn't hesitate to reccomend this combo to anyone. If it is a track only car, or maybe something that you only drive weekends and short distances, or something like that, then something a little stiffer might be better, but with the eibachs and tokicos I can drive to work every day, carve up the corners on the weekends, and take the car on a 1000 mile road trip in comfort. So overall, no complaints at all.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Earl, you get rid of those cut sport springs let me know. I might be interested. I really like your ride height
Definately....I need to know what all you did to attach the un-modified SC skirts AND the metal door piece to your 96 with the cladding in place....you're the first one who has done it (to my knowledge) without cutting the skirts up to make them fit...looks 100x better than mine...just know that you're really really really likely to tear things up no matter how careful you are if you have my springs...looks great but it will scrape a some point, tires rub, rides rough, wears out shocks REAL fast...IMO it's just not worth it for all the problems it creates...but if you really want them...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts