TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys..

what was wrong with the tokico performance kit? did someone say they became mushy after a short while?

let me know.. may need suspension soon, so might as well do shocks/springs at same time.

JD

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have the Tokico Illumina II's with matched springs (I guess its called the performance set) on my SC for about a year now. No problems so far. They are a little stiffer than stock in the FIRM setting, but I like the feedback from the road. The 1.25" drop is good too. It looks lowered without being slammed. No alignment issues either.
Ther are lots of choices in shock and spring combo's out there. It really just boils down to personal preference. If you are in the market for shocks and springs, check out www.shox.com their prices were about as good as any I could find, and delivery took about a week...........

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what made you pick the kit instead of say.. bilsteins for example?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I wanted to retain the electronic ride control function that came with the stock shocks. Tokico's are the only shocks that provide that function (except maybe Ford stock shocks, if you can get them). I also wanted new springs, so it made sense to get a combination that was matched. (no finger pointing if I had performance issues)

·
Registered
39 Posts
yeah the Illumina II's are supposed to be nice (haven't dealt with them myself), but the Tokoco "blues" are not really up to par. They are far too mushy in many peoples (including my own) opinion.

just my opinion,
-OldTimer

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
now, I have a '92 LX V8. No ride control though. The tokico site doenst have an illumina application listed for the non-ride control equipped birds, just the performance kit.

Am I stuck with getting the Blues? Or will the illumina shocks work for me??

·
Registered
39 Posts
you don't have the acctuator that can change the valve that the ARC cars are equipped with. When you get the Illumina II's (you can just use the ones intended for the SC), you can just manually select the "firm" mode on the shock by hand. You just don't have the luxury of switching them from the drivers seat...it takes some elbow grease.

Plus, if your a fat guy, getting into the trunk to switch the rear shocks takes some extra elbow grease.

-OldTimer

1 - 7 of 7 Posts