TCCoA Forums banner

Tony Angelo Builds a Turbocharged Mark VIII

6K views 92 replies 16 participants last post by  Grog6 
#1 ·
Discussion starter · #3 ·
$100 turbo, $20,000 worth of fabrication equipment necessary to attach it. Budget power! 😆
It takes money to save money. ;)

Discussion starter · #38 ·
And now for the test-

• Haha
Reactions: mercenvy and Dox
Discussion starter · #43 ·

Engine update-

Reactions: mercenvy
Discussion starter · #50 ·
If I had a sponsor and time like they do, I would have put the 17# to it as well. Although I would have worked my way up to at the track.

More importantly, I would have done my research to know it was a one wheel wonder. I'm convinced that first gear set the stage for the melt down. A little traction would have helped.
The whole thing seemed rushed in the video when he blew, but at least in this most recent post he seemed to say that the car arrived to the track 3 hours late and he was pressured to make something big happen. I have no idea how much time is allotted into getting these types of project cars sorted out.

Discussion starter · #67 ·

Discussion starter · #68 ·
At least in this episode they seemed to have the most respect for the car and the build. It’s cool that they found a stroked long block to build off of. And it sounded like they got motor and trans cross member mounts from SCP.

Between this build being featured on Hagerty’s YouTube channel and Tony’s notoriety from HotRod Garage, this may be a high water mark for MN12 / FN10 exposure. I know we can knit-pick, but this whole thing is pretty cool.

Reactions: supergordo
Discussion starter · #88 ·
Not to interrupt this conversation, but, ‘Back to the show...’

Discussion starter · #90 ·
When exactly did “a lot of boost” go from 12-14 psi to 25+.

Growing up reading the car mags and brochures, 8 psi was generally happy and 12 was pushing it. It seems the new baseline happy number starts at 18.

Did this come from the 4 cylinder community? Advancements in tuning/ computers? The loosening of respect for equipment and the throwaway world that comfort and money brings?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.