TCCoA Forums banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
I hatter hijack a thread, but since it's already been done, I'll continue. IMHO Fantomworks is/was about the worst automotive show out there. The only worse show is Rust Valley Restorers. I won't even mention the Sunday morning shows. Those are in whole class of "awful" by themselves.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I hatter hijack a thread, but since it's already been done, I'll continue. IMHO Fantomworks is/was about the worst automotive show out there. The only worse show is Rust Valley Restorers. I won't even mention the Sunday morning shows. Those are in whole class of "awful" by themselves.
Awful how, if you don't mind my asking? I'm no expert in car restorations or running an auto shop but I've known a few mechanics who own their own shops, one that is big enough to do a decent show if they wanted, and what I see going on in Fantomworks is more or less what I've seen. Not to that show-winning level of restorations or trying to fix something very old and rare, but otherwise, ya.

The Tony Angelo side of things is more like what I think knowledgeable guys with tools and not that much patience would tend to do, cutting a few corners or trying something clumsier in order to get the thing finished, not worrying about authentic fasteners or parts. I like both approaches, I'm just not a fan of fake drama or watching the mechanics' personal lives, I don't care about that crap. That's where I lose interest in some of those shows trying to be funny or "interesting" when it's the cars that are interesting, not them.

Reactions: mercenvy

·
Registered
72 Posts
Wait, nobody is a fan of "faster with finnegan"? The show where they show you how to ruin a car and make it worse all while spending money.

Tony is probably my least favorite host besides mike, i do like his offshoot stuff more but he is a bit too hacky. Was definitely cringing when i seen what they were doing with the exhaust and cutting the hole in the floor. I like tf outta lucky, freiburger and dulcich. I think roadkill garage is easily the more realistic show with a good insight into doing it in the real world. That is until david starts working on his own stuff with the water cooled credit cards lol. Still trying to get a line on the hotrod garage chick, at first i thought she was a spoiled "car girl with assets" but she definitely seems to at least be able to out weld all of them.

As most of you guys have touched on, the hard part is making things better without compromising too much. Problem with that is it takes way too much time and research to make it work with a tv show, though we do see it some with freiburger in roadkill garage with the more invest cars like the front LCA's on disgustang. Also, there is the "builders" own ideology to contend with.

Some things about it irritate me, but on the whole i like wheeler dealers, the older ones were a lot more authentic, as far as not leaving stuff out. They do a lot more to them than what they show and what they list on the "costs" sheet.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts