TCCoA Forums banner
41 - 60 of 93 Posts
Id take a 55-57 vicky or variation of, over a comparable chevy. Not that theyre better looking necessarily, but i do like some design elements better. If i went the rest of my life without seeing another 55 chevy it wouldnt bother me in the least. Uncle had a 62 nomad... those are cool. I like the edsels, so im a little different than the majority in terms of taste already.
Agreed. Nothing against tri-5 Chevys, they're just too common from that period for me. If I went GM I'd rather have the Pontiac or Buick versions of that era. Which is why I loved what Strope did to that Ford wagon, stock that thing isn't that good looking but he changed it into what Ford should have designed.

Thats how i picture every 2nd gen camaro should look like lol. Also, nova > chevelle > camaro imho.
Ya, not me. air shocks and slapper bars are stereotype cheap attempts at performance, that looks sloppy. Better to just get the suspension set up right from the beginning. Never liked seeing the tires sticking out past the fenders, either.

I agree on the whole though, i cant wait for the "slam everything on 22s" fad to die out so over done and never looked good to begin with (on the old stuff).
Exactly. Wheels that big make the cars look like horse-drawn wagons. On classic muscle cars I don't see anything bigger than 17" rims looking normal. And you can still get redlines that look right on those rims. Air suspensions are abominations as well, though I'm also sick of coil-over shocks. Just figure out the correct ride height and get the appropriate springs! Adjustable shocks make a little more sense, but nobody who isn't racing on different tracks every weekend needs to adjust the spring height repeatedly so why have that, they get adjusted once, maybe twice, then never again. Might as well just have custom springs with the desired ride height.

I dont pay any mind to sema builds, so many of them are hacked together junk with pretty powder coating and chrome plating.
Agreed, but some of them are nice. The Strope cars are beautiful, though each one seems to take 2 years to finish so it's not like he's pumping out cheap crap all the time. The design changes he makes are very subtle. I loved the Corvair dash in Rogan's Nova/Camaro, for instance, looked "correct".

Buick nailhead is one of the best looking engines ever IMHO
Those are sweet. I also like the W head Chevy 409s. I always wondered why all their heads weren't designed in that shape until I found out how incompatible those heads and blocks are with the other Chevy big blocks.

Reactions: mercenvy
Ya, not me. air shocks and slapper bars are stereotype cheap attempts at performance, that looks sloppy. Better to just get the suspension set up right from the beginning. Never liked seeing the tires sticking out past the fenders, either.
The way for someone to set up the suspension right from the beginning is to not buy a Nova or Camaro 😆 A lot of the charm in muscle cars to me is their crudeness, slapper bars fit right in, makes them look tough and really does help keep the leaf sprung axle under control. The combination of those, big tires on deep dish mag wheels and stiff air shocks just emphasizes the mechanical machine nature of those cars.

I’ll take this over Joe Rogan’s little show car

Discussion starter · #43 ·

Engine update-

Reactions: mercenvy
Well; thats the second failed teksid blocks I've seen.
oil was black,and I dont think that's coincidence,these engines want clean oil. dude Broke a Hypereutectic piston at17lbs of boost.
That's why you want a forged lower end for boost.:) way to prove the dudes an idiot I will not listen to,lol.

Reactions: supergordo
Well; thats the second failed teksid blocks I've seen.
oil was black,and I dont think that's coincidence,these engines want clean oil. dude Broke a Hypereutectic piston at17lbs of boost.
That's why you want a forged lower end for boost.:) way to prove the dudes an idiot I will not listen to,lol.
They’re better Italians than the Teksid casting foundry… ohh!

If I had a sponsor and time like they do, I would have put the 17# to it as well. Although I would have worked my way up to at the track.

More importantly, I would have done my research to know it was a one wheel wonder. I'm convinced that first gear set the stage for the melt down. A little traction would have helped.

Engine update-
These guys seem like clowns.
Stock B head Modular with no intercooler and 17# of boost is just dumb.
IMRCs opened and went dead lean i bet.
And then blaming the motor for their own mistakes just sours it for me.
John Force burnout probably sent IATs to the moon.
Can't wait to see which motor they decide to blow up next.
Pizza did look good tho not gonna lie.

I actually kind of like their stuff. It's a little too much of a joke, but they do different build than everyone else is doing. I really dig the firebird they're running.

Discussion starter · #50 ·
If I had a sponsor and time like they do, I would have put the 17# to it as well. Although I would have worked my way up to at the track.

More importantly, I would have done my research to know it was a one wheel wonder. I'm convinced that first gear set the stage for the melt down. A little traction would have helped.
The whole thing seemed rushed in the video when he blew, but at least in this most recent post he seemed to say that the car arrived to the track 3 hours late and he was pressured to make something big happen. I have no idea how much time is allotted into getting these types of project cars sorted out.

Saw that as well, but he sure had time to do a couple passes. Even a rolling throttle run for a shake down would have been a bit more sane. At least there is a plan to fix it. Hopefully they make it happen and pay attention to more of the needed details

In the world of Youtube there is no time for shaking things out. Just blow it up and let the automotons watch it... make that view content money!

Reactions: Zep5.0
What did that poor Teksid ever do to them?
Killed a perfectly good motor
And they should have known better.
RIP
The "late to the track"excuse is meaningless since it was not built correctly from the beginning.

What did that poor Teksid ever do to them?
Killed a perfectly good motor
And they should have known better.
RIP
The "late to the track"excuse is meaningless since it was not built correctly from the beginning.
If it were a dime a dozen LQ4 from a workvan you know they’d be all remorseful too

at least it took 17psi of boost; the other one died at 21psi. Not bad for a 30 yo jy motor.

I actually kind of like their stuff. It's a little too much of a joke, but they do different build than everyone else is doing. I really dig the firebird they're running.
I agree, though there tends to be about twice the amount of stupid decisions in this new Stay Tuned venture than when he was on Hot Rod Garage. Maybe it's budget, maybe it's less time, who knows. But, ya, the goombas trying to be funny aspect rarely lands. Tony is pretty funny, I don't need the other guys chiming in.

I do appreciate that he works on stuff that is far from LS1 engines. On one year of Hot Rod Garage they worked on a beat to hell Javelin and they actually rebuilt the stock V8 in it, including discussing the oiling weaknesses known with those motors and the ways to address them. Of course the car itself was a pile (and one of the ugly years, anyway). On another episode they would have built up the stock big block in an old Cadillac they'd bought but it was knocking on the test drive so... LS1, dammit.

If it were a dime a dozen LQ4 from a workvan you know they’d be all remorseful too
Too?
Hard to be remorseful when you basically purposely grenade a perfectly good motor.
Stock Terminator had forged crank and rods and is intercooled and only ran 8# of boost.
Trying to stuff 17# of boost on a non intercooled turbo with a stock Teksid bottom end is just asking for shrapnel.
I find it baffling that they all seemed surprised that it exploded.
Maybe they knew it would, and they did it for clicks, who knows?

41 - 60 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.