TCCoA Forums banner

Tony Angelo Builds a Turbocharged Mark VIII

6K views 92 replies 16 participants last post by  Grog6 
#1 ·
#3 ·
$100 turbo, $20,000 worth of fabrication equipment necessary to attach it. Budget power! 😆
It takes money to save money. ;)

#9 ·
Ya, I like Tony, he is great (and funny) on Hot Rod Garage (with Lucky, especially), drift racer guy. What I don't like about a lot of these builds, and that includes the Hot Rod Garage ones, is that many times they make it sound like they're going to make a car faster and handle better when what they really mean is they're going to butcher a car into just a weekend race car, meaning it's useless as a car. You can do anything you want to a race car as long as you don't care how uncomfortable it is and how terrible it is as a daily driver at the end.

I prefer the shows that leave a car as-is (keep/fix the air-conditioning, heating, stereo, etc.) and add to it, make it faster, handle better. Or, make a true race car that is practically unrecognizable on the street with all the race gear, ok, but stop calling it a Mark VIII or a Camaro or whatever, it's not a car anymore, just a race car. In that sense I prefer shows like Wheeler Dealers though they tend to lean too far into just bring it back to functioning stock with very minor upgrades. But this kind of build is worthless to me, there is no "Oh, I should do that to my car, too!" because of how much they removed from the engine bay.

I would have wanted the exhaust to exit out the rear, I'm tired of the steam locomotive looking turbo builds with pipes sticking out everywhere in the front. I have a question about the exhaust under the car (the big loop). Isn't it really compromising the exhaust flow to have the exhaust basically run into itself on the passenger side? I would have expected to have the 2 halves merge around the middle (at the converter) like an 'm'. Not at the exact middle, more like on the passenger side of the 'n' and then run that back forward and up into the turbo. Wouldn't that be much better for exhaust flow? I have no idea how that would help horsepower, I'm just wondering about the pressure on the passenger side where that elbow is for the up pipe.

Reactions: XR7-4.6
#12 ·
It is funny every time I watch a video and see the turbo busted out I always know the discharge pipe is going to be stupidly and lazily exiting the front somewhere. In that video I actually was pleasantly surprised it wasn’t sticking straight up out of the hood at least…. Until they swapped to the bigger turbo and did it anyway 😬 I actually liked Roadkill because they’d often buy weird sketchy builds or beyond savable cars and really put them to the test with a long roadtrip or use them in some other inappropriate format with usually hilariously predictable results, though that show has way declined into this sort of thing too, there’s too much content competing for views, so all the creators are churning out the same quick never to be revisited hack builds(which I think the parent company, Dicovery, is foisting into roadkill and hot rod garage).

I don’t like wheeler dealers though, but I simply don’t enjoy flipping (car, house et al) as entertainment.

#16 ·
The various Motortrend shows are starting to bleed into each other but Hot Rod Garage and Roadkill Garage are probably the best ones. Roadkill tends to be too stupid, whenever I hear them say something like whoops, we sort of didn't address the sketchy radiator (or distributor or other key part) back when we were dealing with the car I'm now convinced they did that on purpose hoping that piece of **** would fail on them and they could have their roadside sloppy fix moment. But it's still a pretty good show. Roadkill Garage (I think) is where I learned about the Chrysler Jet, the small boat powered by a small-block V8 with special exhaust manifolds, and it's got a boat version of the Super Bee! I even ordered the shirt from the only place on Earth that seems to have them -

The flipping part interests me the least and it's, thankfully, at the end. I just like watching them go through the cars, explaining the typical problems for that particular model and how you're supposed to handle them, the obvious upgrades (brakes, bushings, etc.) and the occasional performance upgrades, the interior fixes (I can't stand car shows where the car is "done" yet the interior is gutted and they're lucky there's actual glass installed) and body work. I also like the "save money" repairs where they take the component apart and replace the worn seals, bushings or whatever so that the thing works again for the cost of parts (like $30) vs. replacing the whole thing (like $200).

I like the car YouTube videos from the people I'm already familiar with from the various TV shows. They're hit and miss but I like seeing old cars getting on the road again. There's a series I like with a guy who just rebuilds muscle car engines, all kinds like Pontiacs and Buicks and whatever, has the finished engine on a stand so he can run it and show that it works. It's usually stock specs, maybe higher compression or improved rods or something, but nothing exotic.
I get to antsy sitting around watching videos. I don't understand myself in the situation. But I typically have too much to do every day to want to entertain myself in that fashion. Also with the reality based shows they always script things. Like you mentioned possibly doing things on purpose to have something fail. That stuff annoys me. Like Neuro stated, just give me the info. That's all I want.

#18 ·
I get to antsy sitting around watching videos. I don't understand myself in the situation. But I typically have too much to do every day to want to entertain myself in that fashion. Also with the reality based shows they always script things. Like you mentioned possibly doing things on purpose to have something fail. That stuff annoys me. Like Neuro stated, just give me the info. That's all I want.
Ya, some are worse than others. I love Mopars but I can't stand watching Graveyard Carz, even with all the rare Dodge/Plymouth knowledge in that guy's head, because of his insistence in trying to be funny (he isn't) and constantly insulting his crew, like they're borderline retarded but he must be dumb, too, to keep them around. It's even worse on Bitchin' Rides, they actually try to do comedy that doesn't really have anything to do with the cars themselves, just lame moments between Kindig an Kevdogg (or whatever ridiculous, lazy nickname he has) that wastes around 5 minutes at a time. Thanks for nothing, jackasses, I want to hear about the cars, not you!

Hot Rod garage I liked squarely because of Tony and Lucky, but few of the builds really interested me, too much high buck, fab heavy, build everything on a 4 post lift kind of stuff like the rest of the car TV shows.
That doesn't bother me as much, I see it as options for someone who has the money to hire someone to get those mods done on their cars. I hate converting good cars to dedicated track cars because of all the tech necessary that makes the car useless as a car, but there are parts of the build that can be applied more generally, usually.

Maybe in this case the show hits too close to home lol Moreover I don’t particularly like the host, and don’t really like the selection of cars they use, it’s mostly dull Euro cars, and watching a 2005 Mercedes get tie rod ends with the host shouting excitedly about every mundane feature in his cockney accent makes that show feel like it’s two hours long.
In principle I agree. The main host has gotten more fake actor as the show progresses. I'm in it more for the mechanical aspects, and all his mechanics have been solid. Also, I much prefer American muscle cars but I am intrigued by how Europe went through that whole timeframe so it's interesting to me to see "new" cars that I had no idea existed. But Europeans were insane to be excited about "hot hatch" cars, nobody here ever gave a goddamn about VW Rabbits.

Reactions: mercenvy
#13 ·
I hate watching Youtube videos of almost any sort. Especically things that are supposed to be entertainment. I hate reality shows of any sort. Won't watch at all. I watched this video only because it was a Mark 8. Most videos I can't get past 5-10 seconds. What can I say? I'm old now...

#22 ·
Awful how, if you don't mind my asking? I'm no expert in car restorations or running an auto shop but I've known a few mechanics who own their own shops, one that is big enough to do a decent show if they wanted, and what I see going on in Fantomworks is more or less what I've seen. Not to that show-winning level of restorations or trying to fix something very old and rare, but otherwise, ya.

The Tony Angelo side of things is more like what I think knowledgeable guys with tools and not that much patience would tend to do, cutting a few corners or trying something clumsier in order to get the thing finished, not worrying about authentic fasteners or parts. I like both approaches, I'm just not a fan of fake drama or watching the mechanics' personal lives, I don't care about that crap. That's where I lose interest in some of those shows trying to be funny or "interesting" when it's the cars that are interesting, not them.

#23 ·
Wait, nobody is a fan of "faster with finnegan"? The show where they show you how to ruin a car and make it worse all while spending money.

Tony is probably my least favorite host besides mike, i do like his offshoot stuff more but he is a bit too hacky. Was definitely cringing when i seen what they were doing with the exhaust and cutting the hole in the floor. I like tf outta lucky, freiburger and dulcich. I think roadkill garage is easily the more realistic show with a good insight into doing it in the real world. That is until david starts working on his own stuff with the water cooled credit cards lol. Still trying to get a line on the hotrod garage chick, at first i thought she was a spoiled "car girl with assets" but she definitely seems to at least be able to out weld all of them.

As most of you guys have touched on, the hard part is making things better without compromising too much. Problem with that is it takes way too much time and research to make it work with a tv show, though we do see it some with freiburger in roadkill garage with the more invest cars like the front LCA's on disgustang. Also, there is the "builders" own ideology to contend with.

Some things about it irritate me, but on the whole i like wheeler dealers, the older ones were a lot more authentic, as far as not leaving stuff out. They do a lot more to them than what they show and what they list on the "costs" sheet.

#24 ·
Finnegan’s garage is way better than Faster with Finnegan, though you get a lot of exposure to Mike’s water cooled credit cards on it as well.

I’m going to sound way sexist but I still believe the new hot rod garage chick is a two for one diversity hire/eye candy for the mostly male audience. Yes, she’s a capable driver and builder because she closely grew up with it. She’s also very young and hot, think a dude that age with the same background/skills had any chance at that gig? Or that she’d get it if she were a frumpy and middle aged like the rest of the male hosts? Case in point the literal minute Discovery communications took over they instafired Elana Scherr, the only one besides Lucky of anyone that actually daily drives her old cars to work(Freiberger, Finnegan, and Dulcich IRL daily drive late model vehicles). For me it’s just so inorganic, same reason literally every iteration of Top Gear that doesn’t have Clarkson/Hammond/May sucks, the audience shouldn’t have to wait and see the chemistry between hosts form, it should already be there from the start, not a people selected by a corporate committee to meet a list of requirements that favor ratings.

#27 ·
Buick specifically i can see sorta because parts are hard to find and expensive, if you can even get aftermarket stuff. I have a 65 Wildcat that id like to do something with (think dax shepards continental) but youre so limited with the nailhead which is NOT going anywhere, way too cool and too much history.

VGG guy is good about fixing stuff on the real. The tempest or whatever he bought with the OHC 6 is cool as hell, so glad he didnt swap it. He seems to have about the same eclectic taste in vehicles as i do, although he likes chevys way too much. I dont really watch many of the shows besides the roadkill spinoffs, engine masters, HRG, and VGG. Will watch engine power or w/ever tf its called once in a while, they just did a sleeper granada with a 500whp 302 on the bottle thats pretty dope, cant stand the co-host guy tho.

Part of the reason i think roadkill-esque shows avoid finishing stuff is thats where people run into conflicting design ideas. Also, theres no shortage of shows out there that cover that stuff. Everything from your socks with sandals beige vinyl with billit accent everything, to concours restos. Those shows dont show the fun nitty gritty parts of getting an abandoned and molested beater back to running / driving.

#30 ·
Buick specifically i can see sorta because parts are hard to find and expensive, if you can even get aftermarket stuff. I have a 65 Wildcat that id like to do something with (think dax shepards continental) but youre so limited with the nailhead which is NOT going anywhere, way too cool and too much history.
Well, ya, a nailhead might be asking too much, nostalgia or not. In that case I'd get the more modern 455 type engine (though not necessarily that big) and upgrade that (with an overdrive transmission). But no LS, please, not again. TA Performance has many parts for the more modern Buick though I'm sure that prices would be higher than for Chevy versions. But so what, do something different! We already know that LS engines work and are reliable and are easy performance, we don't need another dozen car conversions to sell that idea. It makes me think of those NASCAR years where the driver is driving an "Oldsmobile" or a "Pontiac" but they're all tube-frame cars with Chevy motors underneath. I'm even starting to get tired of Gen III Hemis in every old Mopar, too.

VGG guy is good about fixing stuff on the real. The tempest or whatever he bought with the OHC 6 is cool as hell, so glad he didnt swap it. He seems to have about the same eclectic taste in vehicles as i do, although he likes chevys way too much. I dont really watch many of the shows besides the roadkill spinoffs, engine masters, HRG, and VGG. Will watch engine power or w/ever tf its called once in a while, they just did a sleeper granada with a 500whp 302 on the bottle thats pretty dope, cant stand the co-host guy tho.
I've started getting into Vice Grip Garage (and the Roadworthy Rescues version on MotorTrend), I like the oddball cars he decides to revive. He's funny as well. But again, some of those things are just rolling rust, I'd love to see him do a Part 2 where he gets them beyond just functioning to actually driveable by regular people.

There's Engine Power (mostly just engines) and Detroit Muscle (car projects that usually use a motor built by the Engine Power guys), along with a couple other shows I don't really watch. The Detroit Muscle guys are at least more willing to stick with the original engine family of the car being worked on, though they have done a few LS/Gen III Hemi/Coyote swaps.

I would include Garage Squad as a good middle ground. They get usually projects or abandoned family cars to practically complete and ready to drive daily condition. They may skimp on body repairs or paint because that's not the focus (beyond making them safe and no longer eyesores), it's mostly drivetrain and suspension (and interior). And usually some performance improvements (disc brakes, headers/limited-slip rear maybe, dual exhaust, better wheels, etc.) to go along with the rejuvenation.

Part of the reason i think roadkill-esque shows avoid finishing stuff is thats where people run into conflicting design ideas. Also, theres no shortage of shows out there that cover that stuff. Everything from your socks with sandals beige vinyl with billit accent everything, to concours restos. Those shows dont show the fun nitty gritty parts of getting an abandoned and molested beater back to running / driving.
True, but running ain't driving. Running means it moves without breaking down, driving means you can use it to drive to work (at least for me) with normal expectations of comfort and functionality (gauges work, heater/air works, no leaks, stereo works if it exists, doesn't smell like wet dog). Some of those Roadkill cars are useless except for beating them unmerciful on a racetrack.

I do also like watching shows like Hand Built Hot Rods (Steve Strope) but those are 2-year projects that are shown at SEMA that only celebrities and CEOs can afford. Still great to see the subtle design mods they do, things that you wish the auto companies would have done. That Nova with the '69 Camaro body lines looked amazing, and stock in badass way.

I think Tony Angelo is too focused on making cars that can compete on racetracks and in rally races (or drifting) no matter what was originally called for. He's sometimes too eager to rip out functioning parts of a car like the air-conditioning or the back seat. His YouTube show seems to be a little less racer, maybe because the cars are mostly his own so he doesn't want to butcher them as much. But on Hot Rod Garage I remember they did do a Javelin where he and Lucky actually built up an AMC V8, along with going over oiling mods to improve longevity, that was very cool. Made some solid power. Most shows, that would have been a Hemi swap.

#35 · (Edited)
Eh, to me the original designers got them right the first time, or in the case of the 57 Ford wagon, the whole thing is too ugly to help 🤐 forward angling the pillar doesn’t make it look even half as good as a stock Chevy Nomad. I don’t mind mixing and matching bolt on parts that are different on a certain year or trim package but once you get into fabricating panels I’m out, cars like that simply don’t do a thing for me, they’re just modern day lead sleds. Rough edges and oddities are part of the personalities of old cars, trying to make them something that they’re not just makes them look like unlicensed video game cars, or concedes to the modern ethos of “hide anything remotely mechanical looking”.

To me the coolest looking 68-72 Nova is one jacked up on air shocks, with their requisite yellow slapper bars clearly visible under the leaf springs, and wearing wide 14” slot mags and polyglas tires, totally stock body. Slammed to the ground on forged wheels and rubber band tires with one off body panels seems like something I’d be paranoid to drive or even do a burnout in, well unless I had $300,000,000 in the bank.😆

Like I said I’ve fallen off roadkill to know how it’s like now, but the only real deliberate/negligent failure I recall being irked by was the 64 Galaxie engine failure(s). They built some hacky stuff like the Rotson but it pretty much just parodies every internet forum fantasy build it’s not supposed to be a spared no expense boring TV show car that they sell to keep the shop running, the results are real, and they just continue push ahead to the next extreme anyway. I still can’t believe they haven’t cracked the 5.0 block with that turbo setup lol

#37 ·
Id take a 55-57 vicky or variation of, over a comparable chevy. Not that theyre better looking necessarily, but i do like some design elements better. If i went the rest of my life without seeing another 55 chevy it wouldnt bother me in the least. Uncle had a 62 nomad... those are cool. I like the edsels, so im a little different than the majority in terms of taste already.

To me the coolest looking 68-72 Nova is one jacked up on air shocks, with their requisite yellow slapper bars clearly visible under the leaf springs, and wearing wide 14” slot mags and polyglas tires, totally stock body.
Thats how i picture every 2nd gen camaro should look like lol. Also, nova > chevelle > camaro imho.

I agree on the whole though, i cant wait for the "slam everything on 22s" fad to die out so over done and never looked good to begin with (on the old stuff).

I dont pay any mind to sema builds, so many of them are hacked together junk with pretty powder coating and chrome plating.

#36 ·
Every boosted 5.0 I've seen dies by split block...

#38 ·
And now for the test-

• Haha
Reactions: mercenvy and Dox
#48 ·
These guys seem like clowns.
Stock B head Modular with no intercooler and 17# of boost is just dumb.
IMRCs opened and went dead lean i bet.
And then blaming the motor for their own mistakes just sours it for me.
John Force burnout probably sent IATs to the moon.
Can't wait to see which motor they decide to blow up next.
Pizza did look good tho not gonna lie.

#45 ·
Well; thats the second failed teksid blocks I've seen.
oil was black,and I dont think that's coincidence,these engines want clean oil. dude Broke a Hypereutectic piston at17lbs of boost.
That's why you want a forged lower end for boost.:) way to prove the dudes an idiot I will not listen to,lol.

Reactions: supergordo
#47 ·
If I had a sponsor and time like they do, I would have put the 17# to it as well. Although I would have worked my way up to at the track.

More importantly, I would have done my research to know it was a one wheel wonder. I'm convinced that first gear set the stage for the melt down. A little traction would have helped.

#50 ·
The whole thing seemed rushed in the video when he blew, but at least in this most recent post he seemed to say that the car arrived to the track 3 hours late and he was pressured to make something big happen. I have no idea how much time is allotted into getting these types of project cars sorted out.

#59 ·
I agree, though there tends to be about twice the amount of stupid decisions in this new Stay Tuned venture than when he was on Hot Rod Garage. Maybe it's budget, maybe it's less time, who knows. But, ya, the goombas trying to be funny aspect rarely lands. Tony is pretty funny, I don't need the other guys chiming in.

I do appreciate that he works on stuff that is far from LS1 engines. On one year of Hot Rod Garage they worked on a beat to hell Javelin and they actually rebuilt the stock V8 in it, including discussing the oiling weaknesses known with those motors and the ways to address them. Of course the car itself was a pile (and one of the ugly years, anyway). On another episode they would have built up the stock big block in an old Cadillac they'd bought but it was knocking on the test drive so... LS1, dammit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.