TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, it has been really hot around here past few days, it has hit 100 degrees. When i was driving home at about 8:30 pm today, i ran my a/c and the air was pretty cool, it was about 89F outside. i did a test in the parking lot, i revved the engine to about 2k, and the a/c cycled on for about 15 secs, then would cycle off for about 3-4 secs, then click back on. On really hot days, the air from the vents isnt very cold, its cool, but its not cold. Its definately not hot or warm air. When my low pressure switch went out last summer, the freon level was just fine, and it has felt the same ever since. Do the a/c systems in our cars just stink, because i remember driving my uncle's lincoln blackwood, and the air coming out of it was ICE COLD, it frooze my *** off. My mom also has a 99 pontiac grand prix, and her a/c system works great, prolly better than mine. So is there any trick to getting the a/c to blow really cold?

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
Pick up a simple A/C pressure gauge from Wal-mart, Autozone, etc. and check where the A/C pressure is at. If the pressure reads OK, it may be time to have a system evacuation and recharge performed. If the pressure is at the low end of the OK range, add a can of R-134a, and check the A/C temperature again. If it holds, you're OK. If it dies away, there may be a leak in the system, a clog in the system, or a failed component, like the compressor.

Does it show that I've been through this? :D The A/C on my car does blow rather cold...the major repair I did was nearly two years ago.

Another idea: look around your area. There may be a few places offering a special on A/C tuneups/recharges...

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
The A/C on our cars is quite good. Sounds like you are low on 134A and probably have a leak, maybe due to the pressure switch replacement. You notice it more on hot days.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well looks like ill check the pressure again, i have a recharge kit, so i can check the pressure with that.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, i found the recharge kit, where in the heck do i plug it in and charge it, i kno its on the passenger side somewhere, can someone provide me a pic or detailed description, so i see where it goes?

·
Registered
156 Posts
The low pressure service port on my 94 is located right above the compressor. It has a black plastic cap on it. This is where you add lube and refrigerant. The fitting on the recharging hose in the kit should only fit on this port.

The high pressure service port, for comparison, is closer to the radiator because it is right before the condensor in the a/c loop. It too has a black plastic cap but is too large for the fitting on the recharging hose. The low pressure side should always feel cold when running, while the high pressure side feels hot.

You shouldn't charge past than 2lbs 2oz (this is the limit on the a/c sticker on top of the driver's side wheel well). Do like IronChopz said and check the pressure before you add any.

When my a/c went I had a full charge, but my liquid line was clogged. Acted the same as a low charge.

·
Registered
926 Posts
My guess is that its normal because its too hot outside for your condensor to work properly because it holds so little Freon, see your refridgerant doesnt have a chance to turn back from a gas to a liquid, in simple terms its not doing what its supposed to. ( I could get deep into this but I dont need to ) this is a common problem when it gets rieal hot outside because your AC system in your car holds so little refridgerant, youll find out west where its about 100 every day they use much bigger AC systems as far as homes go more tonnage. I would wait to recharge it for many people just go and charge a system when its not working properly its not the answer and you overcharge you can burn out your compresser. check your pressures and make sure the car is running as well, or your pressures will equalize on both the high side and the compund gauge which is the blue one low pressure side. The red gauge is for your liquid line and your blue gauge is for your suction line. Good luck :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
is it pretty easy to add refrigerant? before I bought my latest cougar the owner had the system tested and they told him it was low but because it was winter here in San diego it wasnt necessary to have the system recharged at the time so he was going to wait.

So its time for me to get mine charged would a can of the stuff I can buy at napa work? I know not to go over the 2lb 2oz ...

Im pretty good when it comes to mechanical work but when it comes to ac im still a bit timid.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

the 3.8s and 4.6s have different service port locations if im not mistaken. CAn someone provide a picture with a 4.6, and pointing out where the service port is? i found a pic of a 96 tbird with a 4.6, since i have a 97 it should be the same, someone circle where the service port is...

·
Registered
303 Posts
So its time for me to get mine charged would a can of the stuff I can buy at napa work? I know not to go over the 2lb 2oz ...
I am not an a/c god or anything but just hooking up a can of freon is not always a good or correct thing. Many times you need to evac the system, put it under vacuum, and then recharge it.

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
wilson502 said:
....someone circle where the service port is...
Alas, no circle; I think a couple of square's'll suffice:

It's a Schrader valve that connects to the recharging line from (e.g.) a can of R-134a. There's two: one's larger than the other. In the photo, the larger one has a black cap, and is located near the upper radiator hose. As stated before, you can test the pressure at the SMALLER valve (see the red squares for location), and charge the system, then check the pressure again. Still, it wouldn't hurt to have the system evacuated, and recharged....

Edit corrected typographical error....

·
Registered
156 Posts
wilson502 said:
the 3.8s and 4.6s have different service port locations if im not mistaken. CAn someone provide a picture with a 4.6, and pointing out where the service port is? i found a pic of a 96 tbird with a 4.6, since i have a 97 it should be the same, someone circle where the service port is...
:leftright Yeah, sorry about that. I didn't realize until later that you had the 4.6l. In all events you should still be able to trace lines from the compressor even without a pic.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hmm i see something similar to that in the picture, but the intake tube is right there, in that pic, it was missing, but i dont see anything that looks like i can plug a pressure tester into. Am i lookin in the wrong place, it doesnt look exactly like that, but it could be cause its dirty, but i dont see where i plug it in to recharge

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
im still not finding where is the port by the firewall, i do remember though when my dad recharged it, it was up on the passenger side, up by the firewall, dont know exactly where though..

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've been trying to find some good pictures of the passenger side engine for a 97 4.6L, but I'm not having to much luck.

It's difficult to see what this thing is in MadRussian's engine, but it may be port, sticking down.

In this picture of Tx_Cat's engine (taken from the same thread) I can clearly see a port.

I know you want to see a picture, but I can't find a good one. If you still cannot find it, the recharge port has to be the suction line (low pressure side). The suction line only goes between the accumulator and the compressor. Trace the line from the accumulator (canister on the firewall) towards the compressor. The port sticks out at a 90* angle to the line. It is aluminum with a black plastic cap.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hmm i see the 2 lines there, problem is i see no port where i can plug into, i see a little tube sticking out of the teal canister on the firewall, with a black cap on it, i see a low pressure switch, but theres no port really where i can plug into, do i remove the cap on that thing? i also see another black plastic cap with aluminum behind it by the radiator

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
Are you able to post a photo of your car's set up? Don't know about the teal color, but the black-capped port Astaeroth has circled in the photo of Tx-Cat's engine is what we're trying to get you to locate. The Schrader valves ought to have black caps on them to prevent dirt from accumulating in the openings.....

·
Registered
156 Posts
The one near the radiator should be on the liquid line (high pressure side) since it goes into the condensor. It should be to big to plug the recharge hose onto it.

I don't know if this is going to help since I don't have pics for your specific application, but here is a pic of the port with the cap.

And without.

As you can see, mine's located directly above the compressor for easy access. Your's should be in as equally accessible location somewhere.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK GUYS i figured it out. It was that teal canister with a cap on it. Ok i hooked it up, and at idle it was at 25 psi, if i revved it up it would go up to 45, then the compressor clicked on/off, and it dropped back off to 25, the ambient air temperature is 85F, in the shade, the air was pretty cold coming out of it, the engine wasnt warmed up either. I noticed on the pressure gauge the pressure stayed right in the normal range, the normal range is 25-45 PSI, it shows, it stayed right in those numbers. So whats next?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts