TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a trip to the annual car show in the dome down here and had some fun. They had the new viper there and it looks a little better in person but not much. My fav car there was the Forty nine concept. Something was wrong with it though... it had thunderbird rims on it... AND everybody there was calling it a thunderbird!! WTH? is this going to be the new tunderbird or somethin? Did anybody else in STL go?

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
I'm not sure about why the wheels were the same but the 49 is not the Thunderbird. The Thunderbird is going to stay pretty much the same body wise for the next few years.

The "Red Rope Licorice" is a line from Wayne's World 2 where they were making fun of the bad Acid at Woodstock.

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,670 Posts
ShadowDragon said:
You weren't supposed to eat the red rope licorice. :D
I remember that movie! Garth said that on stage while waiting for Wayne to get back. I've got to see that again. I haven't seen that in a while.

-Andy "Melon"

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Powered by Thunderbird makes sense. They used the same marketing ploys back in the 70s.

And on a side note, that engine bay SUCKS!

·
Gauge master
884 Posts
St. Louis Auto Show

Here's some photos of the 49 that was at the St. Louis Auto Show.

This was the license plate that was on the back.

Here is the emblem that was on the side of the car.

And here's a photo of the engine. Hah, there was no engine! You could look through the grill and see the back of the dashboard. The lady describing it said that the hood didn't open. How convenient.

The photo didn't turn out as well as I would have hoped.

Also, the St. Louis Auto Show seems to get the "seconds" of the auto show circuit. The displays aren't anything like you see other shows on TV. Also, there was nothing on the new Mustang. There was a brochure of Ford concepts hidden on the back of a literature podium way in the back by the Crown Vics.

I guess St. Louis isn't big enough to warrant a "real" auto show. We only assemble the most vehicles here second only to Detroit.

I'm done venting. Pardon.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
They used that for marketing when the Thunderbird first came out too, something like introducing the new line of Fords, each having Thunderbird power and Thunderbird style...they had a clip from the commercial on the History channel thing on the Thunderbird.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sry i rem them being thunderbird rims. I must have been remembering the fatty thunderbird emblem on the side. WTH? Good marketing ford. Now everybody that went thinks its the new bird.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
It was at Carlisle last year:

Thats the only pic I have of it. It is in the back ground of this pic though :D :

The 49 was also at my local show in Rochester NY back in 02. I believe it goes with Ford to most of the shows. I dont think its too bad. I sort of like it, better then I like the Thunderbird.

-Shawn

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
HanMan said:
WTH? Good marketing ford. Now everybody that went thinks its the new bird.
ShadowDragon said: