TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking to up my tool collection from my $50 walmart set i got years ago. im looking to spend around $300 or less. i want a moderatley extensive set. i dont want completely low end stuff and get a 1000pc kit but i dont want a 20pc set from snap-on either, i want something like craftsman. what do you guys think?
and this is with or without box, makes no difference.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
get the craftsman 300 or 400 piece set should be 150-250 something like that, wait for a sale, thats how I started my set, and than every tool I needed more than once I bought

·
Super Moderator
10,287 Posts
I buy craftsman tools; my local sears guy gives good discounts...

I've never had them complain about me breaking one and getting a new one.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmm i think ill go with craftsman then. ahh the day after thanksgiving sale!!
and im tired as hell right now had to do 3 oil changes and mow 2 lawns today. it wouldnt be much except i had to use the crappy screw jack that comes with a car for all 3. in 3k miles ill be investing in a floor jack.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
oh by the way I tend to find that the sockets included with the kits tend to be thinner side walled than the individual sockets the sell at sears.... but.... if you break one they give you the better one.

·
Super Moderator
10,287 Posts
it wouldnt be much except i had to use the crappy screw jack that comes with a car for all 3. in 3k miles ill be investing in a floor jack.
One of the sales last year was a killer 3 ton floor jack, two six ton stands and a creeper.

They're great!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i dont think ill have 3k miles on by thanksgiving so im getting a lot of goodies then.
and i looked at that set in the newspaper today.

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
Snap-on or nothing. All of the rest round off fasteners and break too easy.

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
I'll go against the grain on this one.

I've owned Craftsman tools for about 10 years now, and they are not what they used to be.
The ratchets are practically worthless - it doesn't take much to break the reverse mechanism, and the head has excessive play in it, they hardly work in tight spaces.
I've split open a few 3/8" sockets.
I spent $90 of one of their best (yeah...) torque wrenches. First off, I take excellent care of my tools. I never drop them and I even wipe them off. After using this torque wrench between 20-30 jobs, it has lost its accuracy. It hardly adjusts anymore, and the max torque click feature repeats itself at different levels of force. It's almost hilarious. Oh, yeah... they don't replace those.

Stay away from Craftsman and spend the extra money. Tools are an investment.
After all, you could buy high-end, reliable tools and they would last you 30 years, or you could buy new cheap tools every five years and spend more in the long run.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hmm, my dads old craftsman set is pretty good for its age but i guess its lessened. and yeah snap on tools are so nice, when we work at school theres never a time where we have to jury rig anything. i wonder if they even sell them in smaller sets?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Sure, visit a Snap-on truck.
And get ready to open a line of credit with them. :D

I think if you're working on your own stuff then Craftsman is good enough. I have had to replace a couple of 1/4" ratchets though.

If you're gonna make a living with them then you need Matco or Snap-on cause you'll waste a lot of time waiting for your free replacement Craftsman tools.

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
And get ready to open a line of credit with them. :D

I think if you're working on your own stuff then Craftsman is good enough. I have had to replace a couple of 1/4" ratchets though.

If you're gonna make a living with them then you need Matco or Snap-on cause you'll waste a lot of time waiting for your free replacement Craftsman tools.
Oh I know, i use Craftsman as well. I was just responding to his question on where to get individual tools.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts