TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wanting to know if anyone could tell me the size of the nuts on the upper and lower control arms. Any special tools, bigger wrenches, or anything of that nature that I might need to change my control arms, sway bar end links, shocks, struts, and inner and outer tie rod ends.

Thank you

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I know that an 18mm ratcheting boxed end wrench will make the upper control arms MUCH easier to R&R.

I can't remember the rest of them off the top of my head. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Here are a few tools off the top of my head...

hammer
21mm wrench/socket (lca to frame)
15mm wrench/socket (uca pinch bolt, sway bar endlink)
15/16" deep (i'm 90% certain that is the size of the nut on the strut rod behind the lca)
big crescent wrench (inner tie rod, just spin it off, don't bother monkeying with the rivet)
I don't remember the size of the nut on lower ball joint.

If you are gonna change the shocks I hope you have access to a wall-mounted spring compressor. I have done them without one, but didn't particularly enjoy it compared to the warm secure feeling of using a proper compressor. Good luck.

·
Registered
1994 Tbird - JO'Neil long block, TFHS trans, Quarterhorse tuned
418 Posts
you ought to search this forum a bit. i just posted that i think you need a 30 mm open end wrench for the strut rod nut. you are not alone, this job has been done before.

your going to need a ball joint puller to get the spindle off the LCA. get a good one from sears. the harbour freight crap broke on my first side, i had to go buy another.

i good socket set should have what you need for the rest. if you are still not sure, put it up on jack stands and get under there and check it all againt your toolset.

the list ought to be a sticky in this forum IMHO anyway

1 - 4 of 4 Posts