TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HA! ford wants 540.00 bucks to replace battery and altenator, so i need to know if there's any special tools needed to replace one, looks pretty straight foward but just making sure.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
just a few sockets/wrenches is all. Its pretty easy.
-Thomas

·
Registered
241 Posts
If you decide to replace the belt, too, get a gatorback. Make sure its in the right size, too. *curses belt thats too short*

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it was super easy, except i broke the tab w/ the hole in it that held on one of the wires, so thanks to monster cable for coming thru in a pinch!

·
Registered
466 Posts
I changed my battery, alt, and belt in less than 20 mins. All you need is a few sockets and a decient sized adjustable(be careful, easy to strip stuff with them)wrench to rotate the Tensioner up (atleast thats what i did) (probably not the best way either) but hey it works.

I also broke that damned tab on the alt taking the connector off, but owell I jsut pushed it back on and it hasnt came off yet.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
Birdman16 said:
...and a decient sized adjustable(be careful, easy to strip stuff with them)wrench to rotate the Tensioner up (atleast thats what i did) (probably not the best way either) but hey it works.
And believe thats an 18mm head on the tensioner...either that or 20mm. Cant remember right off the top of my head.
-Thomas

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
XR7kid said:
HA! ford wants 540.00 bucks to replace battery and altenator.
Wow. Really makes you appreciate working on your own car. You just saved a nitrous kit. :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Thomas said:

And believe thats an 18mm head on the tensioner...either that or 20mm. Cant remember right off the top of my head.
-Thomas
You are correct. Its an 18mm.

If you are a weakling, I recommend using a breaker bar and a cheaterpipe. And a friend, who has bigger muscles than you. ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I personaly recommend you change the connector on the alt. Mine burts into flames about a month ago. Not a pretty sight. A lot of fun changing an alt in a shopping mall parking too. The connector cost about 20$ can, so maybe 18 cents US. Worth the trouble and expence. Sorry for the spelling, a bit drunk right now, and french too.

Remember canadian beer is way stonger, been grinking 8% beer all night.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts