TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some tools/ shop equipment that you have discovered that you now refuse to live without.

Mine is this hose clamp removal tool- I can't believe that I used to use a channel lock for this?...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,529 Posts
That is definitely a good one, and would be on my list as well. I would also include an air hammer on that list. And when it comes to UCA's on our cars, I would never do it again without an 18mm gear wrench.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Ditto on the 18mm gear wrench, and the hose clamp removal tool for the bottom radiator hose. And although possible, I don't ever want to again adjust my headlamps without the Lisle 4mm long handle ratchet.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Hmmmm
Electronic torx bits with the darned part in the middle still there.
Jeweler's screwdrivers
Electric drill (plug in) with lots of amps!
A magnet pick up thingy

But I'd have to say a good flashlight/shop light. Nothing's as annoying as when you can get light on a part you're trying to work on!

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Shop press, drill press, vise, bench grinder. All of those have saved me money upon initial purchase and have paid for themselves multiple times over by now. I wish I had a good welder.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
A good, low profile, high lift hydraulic jack and jack stands.

I LOVE being able to both slide my jack under the car effortlessly AND being able to jack up either the left or the right side completely and get stands under it with the jack on the frame rail without having to move the jack.

Ratcheting box wrenches are also a godsend.

·
Super Moderator
10,666 Posts
I would say a Scan Tool is a vital tool to have!!
I agree, but I prefer an Xcal2, personally. :)

That said, you can't really work on these cars without an obdII reader; you'd be guessing, or paying someone else to fix it for you. (Who will use a code scanner to see what's wrong, lol.)

My Boss bought a Scantool that hooks to his phone by bluetooth, and will show you whatever you want; if I ever get a smartphone, I'll buy that asap. :)

I like being able to take a drive and make a datalog of everything important, then sit somewhere and eat something and see what's going on.

When tuning, I make changes, and drive somewhere else. :)

·
Registered
2,472 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,312 Posts
I would practically kill for a heated garage with a lift...

That said I love my air tools. Must be a northerner thing. :D

·
Registered
1,916 Posts

I need a better compressor and some good air tools. I had to get my motor mounts apart because I found one of mine (driver's side) was broken when I pulled the engine. My impact wrench wouldn't even try to get it off, so I took it to my alignment guy and he had it off in seconds.

·
The Parts Guy
7,330 Posts
I sincerely don't know where to start. I might be a tool/equipment junkie.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My garage wasn't a real garage until I had a lift and a compressor.
Do you have a 2 post or 4 post lift? I think if I bought one today I would go with a 4.

·
Super Moderator
4,941 Posts

Yah. I'm waiting for summer so I can upgrade back to a shade tree mechanic >:)>:)

RwP

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
What are some tools/ shop equipment that you have discovered that you now refuse to live without.

Mine is this hose clamp removal tool- I can't believe that I used to use a channel lock for this?...
Those hose clamp tools are a godsend, but I'd also have to nominate ball joint splitters (fork type or the lever type), trolley jack, extra long breaker bars. I guess it depends what was the most recent job you've done where something saved the day.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
The tool I can't live without, for me at least, is electricity. My house is an older house and I only have two outlets in my garage and said two outlets in my garage have shared power with my 3 bedrooms. This being the case, whenever I use my air compressor, I have to make sure that there is nothing plugged in / in use in the bedrooms or else the breaker trips. I would LOVE to have a 220v outlet, more outlets, and dedicated breaker for my garage.

After that, my list of tools would definitely change, LOL.

·
Super Moderator
10,666 Posts
The tool I can't live without, for me at least, is electricity. My house is an older house and I only have two outlets in my garage and said two outlets in my garage have shared power with my 3 bedrooms. This being the case, whenever I use my air compressor, I have to make sure that there is nothing plugged in / in use in the bedrooms or else the breaker trips. I would LOVE to have a 220v outlet, more outlets, and dedicated breaker for my garage.

After that, my list of tools would definitely change, LOL.
I have this same issue; my garage has no power, as of yet.

I have a huge pile of stuff to put a 200A service in the garage, but I'm going to have to deal with utility stuff.

My 120V compressor is nice, but it won't last. :)

My favorite tool of all is being ambidextrous.

Some things are right-handed, some are left-handed; being able to do both rules.

As a bonus, when working on a computer, I can use either hand as a mouse hand, no prob. :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts